Just wondering if I should be concerned.

cottagechick

Songster
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Cottage Grove, Oregon
I have two nine month old Araucana bantams. I am not really familiar with the breed because they are my first. One of them seems quite a bit bigger than the other to me just looking at her. I am not sure is she is smaller or the other one is bigger...
smile.png
Or if they are both within normal range. They both seem equally active and eat well. I haven't noticed any weird poo...but twice now I have had to clean poo stuck to her rear feathers. It isn't on her vent at all. That is completely clear. I wasn't really worried about either thing before. I just figured the poo must have stuck at night when she was sitting on top nest boxes. But after the second time and thinking about how much smaller she seems I was wondering if I should be worried....

Put a Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar into their water (a gallon).. see if that helps with the poopy / pasty butt.

As for size.. if you can post a picture.. of the two of them together.... and, at nine months old, are they both laying eggs?

Where did you get them? Reputable breeder? Had them long? Watch them eat.. is the bigger one keeping the smaller one from eating at all.. is the smaller one more "shy", less assertive about eating and all?

Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice. I did the acv once but have been slacking. I will put some in tomorrow. Neither are laying eggs...unless they are hiding them well..which at this age I am starting to worry about. I will try to take a current picture tomorrow. I have had them since July. They seem equally assertive about taking food from each other. My Dad picked them up for me from a lady on CL. They weren't up to snuff for her show birds. Unfortunately that is all I know. I do know they are truly Araucanas. One is tufted. Both are rumpless. Any thoughts are appreciated.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom