just wondering ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bethandjoeync, Apr 25, 2009.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    I was just wondering what happens to the unsold chicks (if there are any) from TSC? they had some last weekend, but by yesterday there weren't any. I knew that they weren't going to have them forever, but was just curious where they go or what happens to them if unsold?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There was a thread here recently where the person took a single baby home (I think maybe a goose?) because the store could not sell it and was going to put it down.

Hopefully, they mostly get sold.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have never seen left over or unsold chicks. NEVER.

4. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    I think unsold chicks are more the exception than the rule. There stores would rather have fewer chicks than people want than have too many.

5. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    I have a friend who worked at TSC until Spring came and went. The reason she quit is because she's very sentitive to animal abuse.

She told me that TSC takes the unsold chicks into the back and they leave them. No one waters or feeds them. When they are all dead, they dispose of them in the garbage.

She quit.

TSC has chicks days going on now. I was in there yesterday afternoon and saw two bins (I couldn't look at the rest) and one was ducklings and the other was pheasants and both were out of water. There where shavings in the water catch which were completely dry and the shavings completely filled the catch up. Ducklings and pheasants were desperately pecking at the containers in an effort to get water.

I spoke to the cashier when checking out and he said believe it or not, I just filled them up an hour ago, they're fine; big friendly smile on his face. I said they are not fine, one container of water is apparently not enough to quench their thirst under the hot lights and some were desperate for water. He said as soon as he was done with me, he would go and fill it up. I thanked them.

Then, I went to my best friends animal clinic (small) and made some copies. I mentioned the situation at TSC and she said do you know what they do when they stop selling them, I asked her not to tell me. We talked and then I said what my other friend said when working there and why she quit and my vet. friend said that's right. Ugh. I felt sick.

I called the animal control officer and spoke with her this morning. She said TSC water lines are froze up and that may be the problem. I said that is not a problem as there is water a plenty to be purchased and they have a responsibility to care for them, frozen water lines or not. She stated she would go and take a look see.

I know this officer is not going to pursue this. I have heard rumors over the years of how she does just the minimum of work required of her.

I am very upset. Anyone know of what to do with this, to me, horrific situation? There is a TSC, 8 miles from me and one 30 miles from me.

6. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    What you describe is a horrible situation. If this is the "standard" way of disposing of unsold chicks, some potential solutions include:

1. If you are able and willing to adopt unsold birds, tell the store manager you are willing to take any unsold chicks and/or ducks. Make this known both before and during "chick days" and leave your contact information with the manager. Tell the manager that 1) you are aware of the practice of some stores to inhumanely kill unsold chicks by depriving them of food and water, 2) that you're sure he/she wouldn't willingly participate in such a practice as it would not only be inhumane, but would also give a store a really bad public image, and 3) you'll be following up with him/her during chick days to ensure unsold chicks are treated humanely. Even if you end up re-homing some of the chicks, they would still (hopefully) be treated humanely. I don't know whether or not the store would still end up charging you for the birds. Perhaps they'd discount them.

2. If approach #1 is ineffective, photo-documentation is very powerful. I'm surprised a conscientious store employee hasn't done this already if this is a routine practice for unsold chicks.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Not only would I take photographs, I'd take them to the media.

8. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Ok, as I said in my o. post, I have a friend who quit bc of the situation. I also have a vet. friend who also knows about the situation happening, how?, well, I didn't ask - duh.

FYI, I will get in touch with my friends and pursue this in a more organized fashion. Please keep in mind, I am not a person who typically deals with situations such as this one and this is foreign ground. I did not have the presence of mind to ask the appropriate questions.

One step forward...

9. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    Oh, also regarding taking photos, I cannot get into the back room and my friend no longer works there. I can take photos of them pecking the empty water container in desperation, video also. But, what do I do when management or an employee asks me to leave???

I really don't want to be in that situation as I need products from this store and would rather PETA be the instigators.

I really appreciate any and all suggestions.

10. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Egg

Mar 12, 2015
    I spoke with my friend the ex-employee tonight. She says the guy managing our TSC is a good guy but that I should call PETA bc frozen water lines are no reason to cause these critters discomfort. She stated she would back me up.

But, I have to go get my mail and yes the TSC store is out of my way by 6 miles but I don't care. There is a reason I didn't make it to the library this week and this is it. I plan on going to the TSC tomorrow and will see what is happening. If, again, they are desperate for water, I plan on taking pics, a video and sending it to PETA.

My friend stated PETA was in their store at one time. She also said that TSC was getting 400 chicks in a day bc the city had recently passed an ordinance allowing the residents to have a maximum of 4 chicks each. TSC was reguiring a minimum purchase of 6 chicks - go figure. I guess they assumed neighbors talk with one another often. Anyways, it was a very early Spring and TSC started ordering the chicks in Feb. then it snowed again and no buyers.
    So, not to jump the gun. Am going to check myself tomorrow. Animal Control officer said she would check today (well, what small village wants to take on a franchise as big as TSC) and I will go and do my own checking tomorrow. If, they are taken care of, I will keep checking back in frequently until the season is over.

Suggestions and ideas are welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by