Just Wondering...

Chickaroo!

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Can a really broody hen get sick from not eating/drinking enough? If this is a really dumb question then just
smack.gif
me! lol

Possibly...you can put and drink in their reach. Also when they just sit there, it's easier (IMO) for mites, etc. to take over so that can make them sick as well.

I have wondered this myself since I have a broody right now day 10. As long as I see poop just outside the nest each day, I know she's getting out of the nest for food and water. I keep a close watch on her, and when I feed the other chickens a treat or black oil sunflower seeds, I add a some to the pen where her nest is located. So far, they are gone by the next day. If the treats didn't disappear and no poop was found, I would hand feed her and even remove her from the nest an offer water at least twice a day. I've noticed mine doesn't leave the nest as often on a cold day as on a warm day. Hope this answered your question.

Thats a good question! I have heard they will get up and get food and water but only for VERY short amts of time. But if you have a broody girl I am sure it'd be nice to have you put her food and wate closer so she doesn't have to leave her soon to be's
smile.png

Penny's food and water is VERY close to her nest, but she does have to get out of the nest and walk a step or two to get there. I dust her with DE once a week and the nest box, too. When I add fresh litter to the pen, I sprinkle fresh DE there as well. No mites here!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom