Juvenile Hawk - Need to worry?

We have a blueberry patch. One day I was out in the blueberries and one of my birds that was out was in them with me, and a Cooper's hawk came down not 10' from me and killed her. It didn't take her but did kill her. It happened so fast I hardly had time to react.
What kind and age of chicken was killed so quickly?

I have kept chickens for 11 years and always had Cooper’s hawks nearby they tend to go for smaller prey like bantams or pigeons in my experience they will not go after larger breeds. It is red tailed hawks that pose a threat to chicken

Thanks - I am pretty certain this is a Cooper's, and I know it is a juvenile by the yellow eyes.

It swooped by a couple robins the other day, and I know I have nesting cardinals and mourning doves in my yard. Which I guess are potential dinner as well.

I think I'm just going to take the bird feeder down for a bit, keep the ladies locked up for a bit and see if I notice this hawk coming by. Upside of this virus stuff is that I am home far more often to observe.

Might be hard to get at the moment what with everything going on, but a mylar balloon with a colored side and a silver side, spinning and flashing in the wind will spook off most birds of prey if it's only there when your birds are out. Obviously you'll want to fasten it down with something much sturdier than the ribbon it comes with.

Back
Top Bottom