Kale, the poultry opiate

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HollyKMS, Jan 4, 2010.

1. HollyKMS

HollyKMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    Offer your chickens kale. They'll go absolutely insane.

It's best if you do it without chopping, make them work for it. They get a piece of leaf between their beaks then thrash their heads side-to-side like a frenzied pit, trying to rip off the leaf. They fight over who gets closest to the stalk. If one gets a big piece, she'll take off running across the yard, wings out, squawking, with the others in hot pursuit, trying to rip it from her beak.

It's HILARIOUS!

I hand-feed mine because I enjoy being close to the leafy massacre, but you can always clip the stalk to the fence if you don't hand-feed, or chop it up.

I'm going to try to make a video of it in the next day or two, if they (and the weather) will cooperate...

OMG I freakin' LOVE chickens. [​IMG]

rabsabq likes this.
  2. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Funny you should post this. I bought a big bag of kale for the flock and your right, they go crazy over it! They love it! They like it more than the spinach.

3. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Kale is a type of brassica, along with cabbage, and broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts. I have watched them demolish all of the above, both on purpose when I give it to them, and on accident when they get over the garden fence.

4. KandJsmama

KandJsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Me too! I could watch them all day and sometimes do [​IMG]

5. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Kale? Better than corn or grapes? [​IMG]

6. HollyKMS

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    Philly Phlock- you're an OUTLAW? How so? Too many chickens in the city? Super cool! Sounds like you need a better garden fence tho...

My henhouse limits my flock size. My 7 are almost too many as it is--they fight over roost space--so I can't get more, but when I win the lottery (HA HA!! "When" indeed LOL) I'm buying 10 acres and having as many chickens (& peacocks & goats) as I want!!!

I wonder if I'm the only person that dreams of winning the lottery in order to buy land to house more animals..... [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Eboss

Eboss New Egg

Oct 15, 2009
    Lynden, WA
    Nope, I do too, my wife and I joke that we are what happens when you don't have parents to say no more pets![​IMG]

8. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:All chickens are illegal here. I was aiming for 4, but I figured 11 was just as illegal as 4. I've given away more than I've kept to only have quiet and close to the ground girls.

I do need a better kale fence. My fall crop was almost ready when some of my big girls pushed by without me seeing it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  9. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Oh man, now I want to get some kale. [​IMG] Chickens are the funniest! I like to find my chickens potato bugs to devour, and if I throw a potato bug in the coop, they go utterly ballistic! It's one of the funniest sights in the world. [​IMG] I feel bad for the people of the world who don't have hilarious chickens to watch!

10. HollyKMS

Oct 7, 2009
    Felida WA
    OMG SilverPh, you're like NOAH- so many animals! That's GREAT! I wish I was in a position to do that [​IMG]

Philadephia - I had no idea all chickens were illegal there. That's surprising. A lot of urban areas are now allowing up to 3 hens in the city. Good on you for doing it anyway!

Eboss, my folks said "no" to just about every animal I ever begged for, which is why I think I'm the way I am. I think it goes both ways [​IMG] I suspect deprivation can cause as much of a preoccupation with something as indulgence. All I know is, I never seem to have enough CRITTERS around me.

JoJo, I bet corn & grapes are good too but my birds just seem to go a little nuts over fresh greens [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by