Katybee

kateybee

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
I joined backyard Chickens last week and enjoying reading everything concerning chickens. When I was young we had a variety of farm animals, now in my old age I wanted chickens, I wish I had paid more attention.

I bought four ~~ 2 day old banty chickens, we are zoned for only two but to be safe I purchased four. I had them in my home until it became warm, I then put them outside in a coop. I thought all was going well, the banty's were beautiful, until I heard crowing, oh no a rooster, I took the rooster to the feed store, I cried as I had to leave him there. After a few days, I heard crowing again,another rooster, I couldn't keep him and was forced to give him to the gardener. I prayed the other two were hens, until I heard crowing again but not as loud as the other two. The chicken is smaller then the rooster, they are together most of time, .is it too soon for the rooster to go after the chicken it looks as if they are fighting but only for seconds. I am told the chicken is a hen, God help me if it crows. I have had them for 3 months and I am not sure what I should do??? my yard is small the reason I chose banty's. Any suggestions....I live in California. Thank you,,,

Hello & Welcome to BYC!
big_smile.png
You can take some photos of the remaining chicks and post them on the "What Breed or Gender is this?" section of the forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
that's the problem with getting very young chicks - in some breeds it takes months before they can be sexed with any accuracy. Most people go by the old way when it crows/ lays eggs then you know. Some hatcheries will sell sexed birds at higher price but, no method is 100% accurate.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I feel your pain. My first batch of chicks I impulse bought off the back of a truck (long story!) Out of 40 of them, I got 1 hen. Yep, ONE!

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome messages, I must learn to post and respond...:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom