Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Cream

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • Other - please specify

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • WE ARE STUCK WITH THIS POLL

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters
Sean, I was able to spend some time with a breeding pair of the golden red pheasants. Ugh... That only made me want some. I was surprised how social they where towards me, especially the male. He did bite me about 6 times, then I quit offering it my hand.

So is free ranging pheasants a doable option or do they need to be in a run at all times?

Sean, I was able to spend some time with a breeding pair of the golden red pheasants. Ugh... That only made me want some. I was surprised how social they where towards me, especially the male. He did bite me about 6 times, then I quit offering it my hand.

So is free ranging pheasants a doable option or do they need to be in a run at all times?
Hey Chris, goldens are very social birds...if raise by hand. Mine practically "trample me" everytime I'm in their pen. :lol:
If you don't have any predators, you could "free range" them. In the UK, France and some places in Germany they free range them, mainly on huge family estates and some of the hotels do also.
I have a pair of Reeves pheasants (brother and sister) that escaped about 9 months ago. So far no predators have taken them...but I don't recommend free ranging pheasants. Most will be gone in a quick chilly minute if they get loose. I've had some ring necked pheasants get out and hang around from a few days to a few weeks but ultimately disappeared, didn't see them again.

Hey Chris, goldens are very social birds...if raise by hand. Mine practically "trample me" everytime I'm in their pen. :lol:
If you don't have any predators, you could "free range" them. In the UK, France and some places in Germany they free range them, mainly on huge family estates and some of the hotels do also.
I have a pair of Reeves pheasants (brother and sister) that escaped about 9 months ago. So far no predators have taken them...but I don't recommend free ranging pheasants. Most will be gone in a quick chilly minute if they get loose. I've had some ring necked pheasants get out and hang around from a few days to a few weeks but ultimately disappeared, didn't see them again.
Well bummer, though I had a feeling it would be that way. That's okay though, keeps me from going crazy with a new species. ;)
For now that is lol. :D

Well bummer, though I had a feeling it would be that way. That's okay though, keeps me from going crazy with a new species. ;)
For now that is lol. :D
Here's a pic of the male Reeves, I think I took this pic last week?
20200106_082204.jpg

I think one reason a hawk hasn't got it is because it looks big...it weighs about 7.5 to 8lbs. Its tail feathers are 6' long!

Back
Top Bottom