Kebonnixs Incubator & Govee

Well I ordered another brand digital therm/hygrometer that should get here tonight. I can grab an analog one too. Do I need a second govee? Wasn’t actually sure if the app could read two different govee of the same model at once.
Do calibrate you thermometers (not the Govee) by using the ice bath method and boiling point method. You can then calibrate your Govee to them.

I actually just used a Kebonnixs with a Govee. The Govee read around 3 degrees cooler than the bator and the humidity was lower as well. I calibrated the hygrometer using the salt method. The temp on the incubator was the one I went off of. I checked it and it matched my other thermometers.

Instead of making blanket statements that are of no use, try offering some advice or recommendations that have worked for you in the past.
I think your missing the point. Not all blanket statements are useless.

1) If you want to know the temp of your bator you MUST calibrate your thermometer. You cant calibrate a thermometer unless it has a waterproof probe. Therefore any thermometer without a waterproof probe is useless in an incubator. I will say it again because people seem to miss this one.
2) comparing one thermometer with another is not helpfull in any way and does not show that your thermometers are accurate.

I think your missing the point. Not all blanket statements are useless.

1) If you want to know the temp of your bator you MUST calibrate your thermometer. You cant calibrate a thermometer unless it has a waterproof probe. Therefore any thermometer without a waterproof probe is useless in an incubator. I will say it again because people seem to miss this one.
2) comparing one thermometer with another is not helpfull in any way and does not show that your thermometers are accurate.
So if you have 10 perfectly calibrated thermometers with probes sitting right next to 10 thermometers without probes and all 20 are reading the exact same temperatures, we should all just throw the thermometers without probes in the trash because they are useless for incubators?

Why don’t you just tell everyone what the perfect thermometer/hydrometer is, which obviously is the one you’re using, and be done with it.

Last edited:
So if you have 10 perfectly calibrated thermometers with probes sitting right next to 10 thermometers without probes and all 20 are reading the exact same temperatures, we should all just throw the thermometers without probes in the trash because they are useless for incubators?

Why don’t you just tell everyone what the perfect thermometer/hydrometer is, which obviously is the one you’re using, and be done with it.
Yes you seem to have a grasp of what I'm saying. Even in a forced air incubator all the air in the incubator is not the same temp. That's why you have to calibrate to a standard that is a known temp like ice water or boiling water (adjusted for your elevation). If your incubator is 1 degree cold your chicks will be late. I use a home built incubator so the temp controller (inkbird) has a probe on it so i can actually calibrate the incubator itself instead of having to put an auxiliary thermometer in the bator.

I have a meat thermometer with a probe we use in the kitchen but also have an inkbird auxiliary therm/hygrometer in addition to the Bluetooth one...? I will mess with the meat thermometer I guess? Feels awfully premature to bust it out, lol. ;)

1) If you want to know the temp of your bator you MUST calibrate your thermometer. You cant calibrate a thermometer unless it has a waterproof probe. Therefore any thermometer without a waterproof probe is useless in an incubator.
So has anyone on this thread said that you didn’t have to calibrate a thermometer?
Answer my question. Should all the thermometers without probes be thrown away even if they read the same temps as calibrated thermometers with probes?

The only thing I “grasp” about your rambling is that you’re creating arguments so you can give yourself answers. Try answering one of @TeePants questions. Start with post #18.

So has anyone on this thread said that you didn’t have to calibrate a thermometer?
Answer my question. Should all the thermometers without probes be thrown away even if they read the same temps as calibrated thermometers with probes?

The only thing I “grasp” about your rambling is that you’re creating arguments so you can give yourself answers. Try answering one of @TeePants questions. Start with post #18.
Yes if you cant calibrate the thermometer its only good for round about temps so throw it out or put it in your greenhouse ect but dont put it in your bator. Incubators require precise and accurate measurement.
Not trying to cause arguments (clearly failing) but i felt the need to correct the common misconceptions that were being perpetuated which make it difficult to get a good hatch.

Back
Top Bottom