Kebonnixs Incubator & Govee

Ok, I boiled the meat therm and also dunked it in a cup of very icy water - it was 32-33 F in the ice water but right on 211 in the boiling, so I’m not sure if it’s just that the ice water didn’t get to temp or if it’s just whacky. My instinct is to go with whatever the temp was for the boiling point?

I’m not sure how great meat thermometer probes are at gauging ambient air temp, should I run to the pet store and look for something more appropriate?

Also stuck the govee and inkbird in a pastic baggy with a teaspoon of salt and a little bit of water overnight; the Govee only got up to 6.8 & the inkbird was at 64.

All this to say, “a few drops of water in a teaspoon of salt”, “A roiling boil”, and “some water with a lot of ice” feels crazy unscientific. How do I know it’s not me?!

Last edited:
Ok, I boiled the meat therm and also dunked it in a cup of very icy water - it was 32-33 F in the ice water but right on 211 in the boiling, so I’m not sure if it’s just that the ice water didn’t get to temp or if it’s just whacky. My instinct is to go with whatever the temp was for the boiling point?

I’m not sure how great meat thermometer probes are at gauging ambient air temp, should I run to the pet store and look for something more appropriate?

Also stuck the govee and inkbird in a pastic baggy with a teaspoon of salt and a little bit of water overnight; the Govee only got up to 6.8 & the inkbird was at 64.

All this to say, “a few drops of water”, “A roiling boil”, and “some water with a lot of ice” feels crazy unscientific. How do I know it’s not me?!
As far as the Govees and the salt test, I leave mine in the sealed container until the it stops increasing quickly. I think mine took about 12hrs. After a certain amount of time the reading will only increase .1 every hour or so. That’s when I called it quits. I used a Tupperware container for my tests. With all my other thermometers I did the boiling water and ice bath test several times to get a good average measurement. Here’s a pic of one of mine during the salt test.
A449C69B-A10D-4076-9780-37651D46BFFF.png

Yeah, it was in there from about 9pm to 9am! So definitely long enough. I guess it’s just off by a lot. I put them in separate bags and then added the Govee to the bag the inkbird was in to be sure and it held steady.

Yeah, it was in there from about 9pm to 9am! So definitely long enough. I guess it’s just off by a lot. I put them in separate bags and then added the Govee to the bag the inkbird was in to be sure and it held steady.
So your Govee read 68 and the inkbird read 64?
If so, I’d test them again in another airtight container.

Also, you’re supposed to add enough water to the salt to saturate it but not so much that you see standing water in the bottle top. That’s a difference of just one or two drops.

So your Govee read 68 and the inkbird read 64?
If so, I’d test them again in another airtight container.
61.8, sorry, typo!

Wait, but can’t they just both be off by different amounts? I mean, that’s what I assumed here. Is that not correct?

Also, you’re supposed to add enough water to the salt to saturate it but not so much that you see standing water in the bottle top. That’s a difference of just one or two drops.
Hmm, ok. I had one that was probably too wet, but the other not all the salt was damp. I tried the govee in each and it was about the same.

I am also (please feel free to laugh) using pink himalayan salt as apparently that’s the only salt we have in the house. Does it need to be regular table salt? I figured it was about the same chemical components?? :idunno

I really need a nap. In my limited defense the kids are out of school for spring break and I’m about to lose my mind.

Anyway, here are my lovely salt discs, each in their own bags.

Attachments

• 954E7B44-C86B-44B5-B989-48385B1FEADF.jpeg
    954E7B44-C86B-44B5-B989-48385B1FEADF.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 3
I really need a nap. In my limited defense the kids are out of school for spring break and I’m about to lose my mind.

Anyway, here are my lovely salt discs, each in their own bags.
Get a 20oz soda bottle top or anything that will fit a teaspoon of salt. Get some regular table salt, it’s cheap. Put 1 teaspoon of salt in it and very slowly begin dropping water in it. Be prepared to dump the whole thing out and start over if you flood it. I would at least use freezer bags or the ones with a double seal. My pint sized Tupperware containers worked well for me. Test them both again and see what you get.

Also, put both hydrometers in the same container to take out one extra variable.

Back
Top Bottom