Keene, NH Sun. June 14th, 2009 Chickenstock @ Agway

When I was a kid I lived in a big city in Massachusetts and had just about every kind of fowl and rabbit you could think of, in my parents tiny tiny backyard and garage.

I was an active 4 H member and exempt from some of the town rules about poultry. Look into it.

If you have a child who is in 4 H, you may be allowed to have less than a dozen poultry. Those laws are still on the books.

R&SMom.. what city is that? I'm in Springfield and
fl.gif
that I keep under the radar. I've searched the ordinances online, and it appears I'm ok, but then I don't know. I don't want to call and ask, and draw their attention to it if in fact they're not allowed!

I've had chickens here for 2 yrs now and no problems, but you never know!

Rhett&SarahsMom :

mine isnt legal because I live within city limits and chickens are considered livestock here, not pets even though thats what mine are. Pets.
The dog officer saw them and left a door hanger last December about how they arent legal to have in city limits. I called and spoke with her that afternoon(it was right after the ice storm we had here) I havent heard from her or the city since on the issue. So
fl.gif

Rhett&SarahsMom :

mine isnt legal because I live within city limits and chickens are considered livestock here, not pets even though thats what mine are. Pets.
The dog officer saw them and left a door hanger last December about how they arent legal to have in city limits. I called and spoke with her that afternoon(it was right after the ice storm we had here) I havent heard from her or the city since on the issue. So
fl.gif

I know I am alright with local ordinances but I was curious as far as the testing aspect in regards to keeping and more so attending the swap meets and selling/trading.​

Ok...this is why I wanted to post something and see what everyone opinions were on the matter. Thank you all...

I think a booth set up for just INFORMATION on biosecurity is suffice...and I can see what the BYC has for educational materials that we can download and print.

I'd say it should be sell at your own risk like all other swaps...

The state seems to be more concerned with 'large scale' poultry operations instead of BYC small flock owners. And these large scale poultry operations HAVE to follow regulations because they are selling to millions of people.

All that come to the swaps understand that it is BUY at your own risk/knowledge and Sellers sell at their own risk and understand that it is their responsibility to sell a healthy bird and remind new owners to read read read to learn.

Thanks to all for your posts...it does help to hear all the opinions.

Stonewall Farm is working on setting up a booth... (-: And I've got a few folks who are maybe working on a display for backyard cows!! I've got to call her and tell her I've volunteered her first though!! LOL

So I just went back over this thread...

Melissa Morgan Oakes
honey, bees info
biosecurity info

as if I needed MORE reasons to come to a chicken swap!! LOL
My poor dh is really in for it this year.. he is a sport!!

Thanks for organizing this!!!!

I should have some chicks to bring to this one. I'm getting eggs this week, and just picked up a few 2-3 month olds at the MIlford swap.

Count me in!!

Cheep Trick.. nice meeting you at the swap. I bought some soaps, but forgot to pick up the green grass one! Do you ship?/have a site to order from?

Quote:

The great ole city of Fitchburg. If I were "outside of city limits" I would be ok. But I am less than 2 minutes from downtown. I have mentioned how much I hate this place
I was planning on putting up privacy fence on the "open" side of my yard and across the end of my driveway. And using the reed fencing I had last year along the back fence that abutts my coop/run and the neighbors back yard/garage. (he is a truck driver and is never home, so he doesnt care) But then I got laid off Monday. So I dont know what I am going to do now. Well besides look for another job and pray the economy turns around soon. I am really hoping that the lay off is temporary I love that job

Hey. Would anyone be interested in homemade breads or spaghetti sauce? I am planning a trip to the kitchens over the next few weeks. One plus of not haivng to go to work I guess is having time to do other thigns.

Last edited:
Ok folks...I just spoke with Dana at Agway and she asked us to switch to Sunday June 14th because she gets a lot of deliveries on Saturday. So I switched it to Sunday...so adjust your calendars.

Here is where we are at...
Stonewall Farm is working on a Booth and will host The Farmstead Egg Cook book Author Terry Golson a BYC forum member and flock owner.
Valentine Seed Company - 18th and 19th century Heirloom starts
A feed company (who will offer discounted feed the day of and set up a booth) name escpaes me right now.
NH Honey Bee and Apiary Hive Company
Good Forest Soaps
My Mom's Fudge
Melissa Morgan Oakes author of Knitting 2 By 2

And my own personal educational booth about set up and care of a chicken and 'good' practices. I'm going to get my kids in on this and set up something fun.

We will have FULL use 'facing the store' left hand side of the parking lot!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom