Keene, NH Sun. June 14th, 2009 Chickenstock @ Agway

Quote:
Do you need cockerels to go with those pullets? I will be bringing some Bantam Dominique cockerels of various ages... all fully feathered out. I breed to standard for show and for temperament. All my Dom boys are sweet and take good care of their hens.

Lily are you going to have Nari's ready for this swap?
fl.gif

I would love a hen or 2 if so.

Unfortunately no turkeys this time around. I have some babies, but we only hatched 15 so far and lost 2, so we're holding off on selling any until we hatch more.

Quote:
There's also Laurel Lake in Fitzwilliam up past the Fitzwilliam Depot store that is supposed to be good fishing. I really need to get off my butt and get my fishing/hunting license for this year!

Quote:
Oh, now i must see it! I wanted to make our coop using salvage lumber or left-overs from the addition i built on our house. But i had to buy lumber because i need so much to make an 8x10 coop! I am very good at making the best use of my lumber and actually had very few scraps left from the addition project. I only had enough to make the nest boxes and the roost, oh and a couple stairs to get into the coop which is about 20 inches off the ground more or less.
smile.png

Mystery solved!

I divided my B&W chicks into groups---Doms in one box just to keep them separate from the others, Barred rocks in another box, and Cuckoo Marans in a thrid box.

My conclusion is that i only have 2 barred rocks instead of 3. And then i have 3 cuckoos instead of 2! I had ordered 3 of each. One black and white chick was DOA, and i guessed that it was a CM that died---hatchery thought probably so since CM's aren't as hardy as the others. Well, now it appears that it must have been a BR that was lost in shipping.

i took some pics, will post soon.

Anyway, thanks for all the help!

Ok, i think it got it, which chicks are which. Separating them into boxes allowed me to better confirm the identifying traits that i had trouble focusing on when they were all in one brooder box together. Usually they were scrambling around and ducking under or climbing over each other! LOL

Barred Rock chicks - 4 weeks old, pic taken today.
23618_barred_rocks.jpg

Cuckoo Maran chicks - 4 weeks old, pic taken today.
23618_cuckoo_marans.jpg

Please correct me if i got it wrong. Thanks!
Oh, i also noticed when i was separating them into the differnt boxes, the CMs are VERY flighty and high strung, while the BRs were much calmer and willing to be picked up. That's another thing that convinced me which were which.
smile.png
I took the BR pics first, to allow the CMs to calm down for pictures! LOL These photos were the best of all i took.

Quote:
You got them right, if you look at the eyes of the BR they do not have a white band around them the Marans do. also the Marans have a longer looking face, what gets me puzzeld is I thought Marans had feathered feet?

Quote:
You got them right, if you look at the eyes of the BR they do not have a white band around them the Marans do. also the Marans have a longer looking face, what gets me puzzeld is I thought Marans had feathered feet?

Hatchery Marans legs are never feathered...show quality would be feathered. There are several breeders here on BYC...with the feathered foot variety.

Last edited:
Quote:

Hatchery Marans are never feathered...show quality would be feathered!!!

Ah I see, if they dont have feathered little tootsies how can they sell them as true marans?

Back
Top Bottom