Keep broody and babies with the flock?

Do not use chicken wire! Chicks can fit through the holes and will squeeze through, but may not know how to get back in and will be stuck on the wrong side of the divider, away from the hen. Happened to me. If you use a divider, go for 1/2” hardware cloth instead.

Whether the chicks will be okay with the flock depends on the other chickens’ temperaments, too, not just the broody’s pecking order. I have a broody with the flock right now, chicks are 3 weeks old. I had a chicken wire partition down the middle of the coop for lockdown and up to day 3 after hatch. When that chick slipped through, I decided to take down the partition and let them mix with the flock. My broody is low ranking and second smallest in the flock, but the mommy hormones gave her courage and she plucked a lot of feathers the first few days. My flock is very easy going and peaceful though, the hens all get along and they accepted the babies without problems. They kept away from them and their crazy mom for the first few days, but by now everybody has chilled out and now they all eat and nap together with no issue. I have everybody on medicated chick starter so I don’t care if they share meals.

That’s kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I just don’t want them separated for too long as she is used to free ranging. So far the chicks are ok and have stayed under her. I was just concerned seeing other chickens come in and out of her box. I would like to leave her but it also makes me nervous. Thank you for your help!
If you have another nest box available can you just put her in there so the others can still get to their fav box? Mother hen will roam about with her chicks to get food and water so won't be staying in the nest box.
Often my hens hover around the food and water with their chicks and setup a nest for themselves beside it so she can keep chicks warm and they have easy access to food/water.
You probably won't need a fence if nobody is attacking the hen and chick, sounds like they are just laying eggs in the box, not being aggressive?
Here's one if my hens with chick, after hatch she decided to make her own nest under the coop instead of the nest boxes.
IMG_20210413_162538.jpg

If you have another nest box available can you just put her in there so the others can still get to their fav box? Mother hen will roam about with her chicks to get food and water so won't be staying in the nest box.
Often my hens hover around the food and water with their chicks and setup a nest for themselves beside it so she can keep chicks warm and they have easy access to food/water.
You probably won't need a fence if nobody is attacking the hen and chick, sounds like they are just laying eggs in the box, not being aggressive?
Here's one if my hens with chick, after hatch she decided to make her own nest under the coop instead of the nest boxes.
View attachment 2653653
They seem to favor whatever box she’s laying in! Haha. I tried moving her a few times when she was on the eggs and they kept following her. It’s been about two days and no one has been aggressive so far. Just laying. Do you think if they were going to hurt the chicks they would have done it already? I think we’ll just let her be since things have been going well so far. Thank you so much for your advice.

If you have any sort of large bin or can afford to go grab one from the store, that's what I would use! I have one of my hens in an old water trough with her eggs (and a few that have already hatched) with food and water for all. I cover it at night and they're fine! For me it's a lot less stressful than keeping her with the rest of the flock. I was very sad about some of the chicks that had passed away :(
Yes, I just had that happen and am kicking myself in the tail feathers - so sad and sorry! I hate those lessons learned.

View attachment 2653653
We have some Silkies too - they are the BEST brooders.

They seem to favor whatever box she’s laying in! Haha. I tried moving her a few times when she was on the eggs and they kept following her. It’s been about two days and no one has been aggressive so far. Just laying. Do you think if they were going to hurt the chicks they would have done it already? I think we’ll just let her be since things have been going well so far. Thank you so much for your advice.
That's a really good question - I'll be watching for the answer on this one too. I just had 5 babies die and believe it was killed by another chicken but didn't see it happen. I recently had one chick hatch with a hen and pretty basically let her raise it with the other chickens and they are both thriving, integrated within the flock and there wasn't any major issues.... IDK. I'm never going to let babies "free range" in the coop with other hens again.

Back
Top Bottom