1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

keep eggs from freezing in winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuffy, Nov 13, 2009.

1. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I live in upstate NY. In the winter I have to leave for work at 5:30 am and return at 5:30pm (ski center) The eggs are not laid that early so I can not gather them. Has anyone ever tried to very low heat the bottom of the nest box to prevent the eggs from freezing before I can gather them in the evening? I've never seen this mentioned. Perhaps a low watt bulb under the nest box just to keep the nest above 30 degrees. A heating pad set-up under the shavings?? Of course it can't be too warm, just to keep above freezing.
    Thanks. I do have a light on in early am so my girls may lay all winter, so far, so good. Still no drop in #'s of eggs from months ago.

2. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Hmmm maybe a creative use of a water pipe heat tape?

3. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
  4. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
  5. tuffy

tuffy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    Thank you for the suggestions, I didn't know anything like the heating pad existed. I'll continue to look for something a little less pricey~ thanks

6. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    check ebay or other places on the internet. I know I search froogle and saw some too. I bought one of those flat panel heaters for $20 and $20 to ship. Way cheaper than shopthecoop. Maybe it would keep the coop warm enough for eggs not to freeze.

7. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
  8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    The only frozen eggs I've had are ones that stayed in the coop overnight. I collect eggs at around 5pm each evening.

9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe if you increase the depth of the nest box with a board over the base at the front? Would give more room for deeper bedding in there...

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    How cold of temperatures are we talking? Pointing a light bulb at the boxes will work until you get into the negatives. If you use the big heat lamp bulbs they have their risks but probably less risks than most things you could put under the nest box. Having too much heat touch wood or straw is the danger with pretty much any heat source you use. Eggs do take quite awhile to freeze and they don't freeze at 32F like water. I didn't get frozen eggs until below 10F without any heat source and collecting once in the afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by