Keep fermented feed bucket outside at temps of 60-100F or inside at 70F?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by justleslie, Aug 27, 2014.

1. justleslie

justleslie In the Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    It would be very convenient to keep the fermenting feed bucket in the coop, but is it too hot? What would happen to it at a higher than room temperature? It's a long way from my house to the coop...

2. bootsNbirds

bootsNbirds Chirping

Aug 13, 2014
    Madera, CA
    My Coop
    Subscribed cuz I want to know too....

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

You can do it. It at most just speeds up the process, you just adjust to it. Once you get your batch going just keep adding, but not so much that you have a ton of excess, one batch can go for a long time, if managed properly. I just use water, no ACV or such. The 'things' you need are in the air and everywhere, they don't need help. But you can if you likeā€¦ keep it covered, but not tight, it needs room to gas and expand some as it gets going. The cover is more to keep the FF clean than anything else.

I often start mine in the house/kitchen and then move it out when it is ready, around 4 days for me. Your time will vary, each batch is a little different but the results mostly look the same. Just stir in the grey stuff, it is part of the process.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: