Keep losing birds!

I treated them with amprolium (CORID) during the summer. But they may need another round. I think I will treat the whole flock for at least 5 days and see. It is October and yesterday was 94° here in the Florida green swamp.
I forgot to say, I haven't noticed any worms or bloody poop and that's why I haven't treated them again.
worms dont always cause bloody poop(I saw no symptoms at all til I saw just 1 worm in 1 poop), you may never see a worm, its not always a lot of them(until you treat and they come out dead). Corid isn't a dewormer, it only treats a specific parasite, coccidia.

Ok
worms dont always cause bloody poop(I saw no symptoms at all til I saw just 1 worm in 1 poop), you may never see a worm, its not always a lot of them(until you treat and they come out dead). Corid isn't a dewormer, it only treats a specific parasite, coccidia.
Good to know. Thank you!
Have you tried any natural stuff like garlic?

If you really want to know what your chickens are dying from, in FL, you can take or send a body kept cold, to your state vet lab in Kissimmee for a necropsy. It is not very expensive.

Ok

Good to know. Thank you!
Have you tried any natural stuff like garlic?
I honestly think your best bet is a dewormer like safeguard, anything "natural" they ingest gets so processed and diluted that by the time it gets to the intestines... I do believe in prevention however, things like garlic and ACV in the water may help while in the crop when worms are fist picked up because of increased acidity, but the best way to prevent worms is to have lots of space for the birds to avoid worm overload. Chickens normally carry some sort of load, but when they keep picking it up off the ground from being in the same spot all of the time... free range birds and those moved in tractors have less issues. If you want to know for sure, any vet can do a fecal for you...doesnt have to be a chicken vet.

Back
Top Bottom