Keep or cull cockarels with new batch of pullets?

jennifer0224

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2015
Placer County, CA
I have a flock of about 12 hens and 4 roosters. We've only ever had one roo but 3 cockerels hatched last spring and have started getting amorous. This seems to stress out our main man and the girls don't seem to like them much either.

We planned to cull all 3 new roos. But, we just ordered a batch of 19 dual-purpose pullets. My goal is that they brood fertile eggs and we can use them for both eggs and the young for meat. Now I'm thinking... 1 main rooster for 30+ hens is not feasible at all.

I'm now considering keeping my biggest "new roo". The other two were rescued babies and too small for what I want anyway. My question is - is there a point where my main roo will accept the new guy and let him mate?? Will harmony eventually be restored? Right now the new guy tries desperately to mate but no one will let him. Not only does this stress everyone out but I don't think our main guy is servicing as many now, because he's always so worried about the new one...

Attachments

• PXL_20240222_202445469.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240222_202445469.MP.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 29
How old is the young rooster? I have noticed mature roosters don't usually attack young roosters since they don't see them as a threat, but two mature roosters may fight. I would keep them together and see how it goes. If they fight seperate them

How old is the young rooster? I have noticed mature roosters don't usually attack young roosters since they don't see them as a threat, but two mature roosters may fight. I would keep them together and see how it goes. If they fight seperate them
Our main guy is 3 yo, the cockerels is 6 months old. Our adult rooster tolerates the younger one well enough until he tries to mount a hen. Will he be given "breeding rights" as he matures do you think?

Maybe... and removing the two you don't want, will shift things. How they shift is a question but generally it changes things.

When I have multiple roosters, I like to cull part, wait a bit and see, and cull again.

Thing is - it is going to be months (did you order chicks or point of lay pullets?) before you have more hens for two roosters. Roosters are rather like fish, they don't keep well for later on.

I would remove the two, and see...if it works...keep a close eye on them. It can go wrong even after getting on well for months. If it does not go well, I would cull one of them. The old one is getting age on him, but more of a known quantity. The other would be younger, stronger and probably more virile.

The idea that one rooster could not cover 30 hens, is rather easily solved if you think about it. Pen him up with say 8-10 of your best hens (this is good management) and collect their eggs for a couple of days - and that should give you good fertility - check a few while cooking.

And for sure, if you cull, there is the chance that some weird event, and you could be without roosters.

However, it is important to remember, that roosters are rather easy to come by, and often times you can get really nice ones that were too nice to be culled.

So just because you hatched out these roos, does not make them necessarily the best choice for your flock. Animal husbandry is about adjusting the flock.

When you cull a rooster is it good to eat? Is there a certain age at which it will not taste good? I'm incubating for the first time and am sure I will have unwanted roosters in the future.

Maybe... and removing the two you don't want, will shift things. How they shift is a question but generally it changes things.

When I have multiple roosters, I like to cull part, wait a bit and see, and cull again.

Thing is - it is going to be months (did you order chicks or point of lay pullets?) before you have more hens for two roosters. Roosters are rather like fish, they don't keep well for later on.

I would remove the two, and see...if it works...keep a close eye on them. It can go wrong even after getting on well for months. If it does not go well, I would cull one of them. The old one is getting age on him, but more of a known quantity. The other would be younger, stronger and probably more virile.

The idea that one rooster could not cover 30 hens, is rather easily solved if you think about it. Pen him up with say 8-10 of your best hens (this is good management) and collect their eggs for a couple of days - and that should give you good fertility - check a few while cooking.

And for sure, if you cull, there is the chance that some weird event, and you could be without roosters.

However, it is important to remember, that roosters are rather easy to come by, and often times you can get really nice ones that were too nice to be culled.

So just because you hatched out these roos, does not make them necessarily the best choice for your flock. Animal husbandry is about adjusting the flock.
This is very helpful, thank you! You're right of course, it will be 6 months until our new chicks are mature, and mature roosters are easy enough to acquire.

Once a hen is bred she lays fertile eggs for 28 days. As written by Mrs. K, you simply divide the girls into groups and rotate the rooster among them.

In the world of sheep, the ram is outfitted with a marking dye so the shepherd can tell if a ewe was bred by the mark on her back. You could mark your hens with a Kool Aid spot so you can tell who has been bred, then let them back together.

Also, if you group them, he won't be over amorous with his one or two favorite hens.

Once a hen is bred she lays fertile eggs for 28 days. As written by Mrs. K, you simply divide the girls into groups and rotate the rooster among them.
Well really - you don't need to breed every chicken. You really should only hatch eggs from your top chickens. Chickens that lay frequently, chickens that thrive. Chickens that have good bone structure. Chickens that lay high quality eggs.

You would do better to hatch out of 2-5 birds, just collect their eggs. Just put those girls with the Rooster maybe for a couple of days, and then begin to collect the eggs.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom