Keep Rooster/Cockerel or Cull?

vins0010

In the Brooder
Feb 11, 2019
So, we got an assorted batch of chicks from Murray McMurray. We ended up with 5 very obvious cockerels, 4 of whom, at 4+ months, some were becoming a bit ornery with us and certainly not friendly with the hens. We culled 4 and kept the 5th, hoping to breed some more baby chicks/hens in the future to increase our flock a bit. I also would like an alarm for the chickens since we have a decent number of hawks in the area. Well, after that cull, an on-the-fence (hen or not?) barred rock revealed itself to definitely be a cockerel both in terms of crowing plus, now, he acts more like it. Before, he did not.

On the whole, I mostly like him. He does a good job keeping an eye out and calling out alarms when hawks are around. Less of a great job sharing food, though. He doesn't harass the hens; the flock is much quieter than it was before (even with the other cockerel floating around).

This said, he has pecked at me a few times. This has mostly happened when I've picked up a hen or rooster in the coop/tractor in the evening to move them of the bar I use to block the nesting boxes at night. It isn't a hard peck. I pick him up and hold him until calm. Out in the yard, he will come over and make sure he is nearby if I am there (or anyone else) but generally keeps a distance. I would describe him as being busy while trying to keep an eye on me but not trying to look like he is keeping an eye on me. One time, I moved my hand closer to him and he pecked it....not hard (again, held him). He clucks a lot when I'm around. I don't think he likes me, but other than the above, he keeps his distance. He's never tried to flog me, scrape me, or has rushed me or anything like that.

Is this a rooster/cockerel worth keeping for protection and later a little breeding. We're planning on culling the other cockerel (he's just a jerk to the hens, does zero watching out for anything, and has come after me a couple times) and am wondering if I should just take care of this barred rock as well. If he hadn't pecked me those few times, I wouldn't think anything of it. But I waffle, I'd like the flock alarms and chance to have a few more chicks/chickens, but I don't want to be ambushed by a rooster down the line.

Thoughts?

If you're moving them to somewhere he can't see them, the easy solution is to move him first. If it's all within the coop area, you'll have to ward him off somehow. There have been posts about training roosters to leave you alone. I'm not much of an expert in this, honestly.

He's demonstrating that he's protective of the hens, he's protecting them even from you. I would give it time and see if it graduates to full-on attacking, in which case I personally would cull. There are free roosters every year, usually plenty to choose from. But that's me.

Cull the other one and give this guy a shot. You wont know how he's going to turn out till he matures, but so far I don't see reason to get rid of him. Just don't get too attached to him in case things go down hill, but for now he seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom