Keep your fingers crossed - New run arrivig

Looking good!

I could have used some of that rain. Send it up here, please.

Been there and done that. I made a temporary feeder shelter during an integration and misjudged the slope so I overlapped two pieces of metal roof scrap the wrong way so that water poured into the feeder.

I dumped it out and the flock had it cleaned up in a couple days -- just watch to make sure it doesn't mold and shovel it out if it does.

Look like girls to me.
It was not that much feed, just a quart jar full. They should have it cleaned up by tomorrow, and the ants carry the rest off (black ants, they are everywhere here)
I was a little worried about my RIR and my bigger Barred Rock but they seem to be girls to my untrained eye.
So far so good.
Now I want some white chicks.
(not just yet though. maybe next year)

It was not that much feed, just a quart jar full. They should have it cleaned up by tomorrow, and the ants carry the rest off (black ants, they are everywhere here)
I was a little worried about my RIR and my bigger Barred Rock but they seem to be girls to my untrained eye.
So far so good.
Now I want some white chicks.
(not just yet though. maybe next year)

I love my California White. She's the only chicken I have who is smart enough to fly back into an enclosure she flew out of.

And she is a MACHINE for the production of 65g white eggs.

I'm keeping one of her daughters and bought another California White this year. I might even give her a third year after she molts because her production fall-off has been to go down to 5+ eggs per week rather than 28 days out of 30 like last year.

I love my California White. She's the only chicken I have who is smart enough to fly back into an enclosure she flew out of.

I'm keeping one of her daughters and bought another California White this year. I might even give her a third year after she molts because her production fall-off has been to go down to 5+ eggs per week rather than 28 days out of 30 like last year.
well, I am sure mine will live a happy retirement, and live to poop.
I know I won't cull a thing.

you know, if you'd lived closer I would consider putting in an offer for the gal. 5+ eggs is still great to my lay (lol) eyes. I am however not seeking to sell eggs.

Ok, FINALLY
Son and I finished the fortification - for now.
Strung the dig apron around, and secured the hotwire.
Puppy tested it, and bolted clear across the yard with a rebel yelp. I might not have to leave it plugged in all the time, which is good, the whole thing is rigged a little iffy. But pupster got the message to not touch the fence for now.
the backyard is a jungle, the run a desert, LOL. I need to fix my lawnmower. They laid waste to the area in no time. I need to throw then green stuff in again, I think.
So far they seem to cope well with being only semi sheltered, have learned to roost.
And they come by and peck my toes when I stand still for a long time. :lau
I can hear them when I walk across the yard with a low drawn out weeeee when I get out there in the morning.
And I have them spoiled already, they expect something yummy when I go down there.

Better to always leave your electric on.

If for no other reason than that you don't risk forgetting to turn it back on after it's been off.
I will eventually have to modify everything a little more. By the time I am done with that thing (and probably buy extension panels) one won't recognize the run from the bare bones model out of the box! 😆
I will probably get a solar charger, which makes the whole setup a little more efficient, plus of course, solar panels are not off the table at all, seeing that I still need to build at least one nest box for them - but I am considering to go with a 5 gallon bucket for now.
Right now I am just not handling the heat very well, this will have to do for now.

So things I am considering: putting in a 'floor' along one side, about 4 feet deep, a roost above, a dry space for the nest and feeder below. Concrete board siding at least in one corner, to secure the ends of the roost. Right now things seem to work, 🤞

and I am coming to terms with having 5 chicks of 3 breeds. 😉
I have to travel here shortly, I hope nothing happens while I am gone, and THEN I can consider getting a rabbit.
I need all the poop I can get!

Back
Top Bottom