Keeping a cat in a chicken run

Have you tried different litter or litter boxes? Litter should have no added fragrance. Texture can matter too - some cats prefer the pine pellets, some like clumping. Also, litter box size/shape can matter too. Is he a big cat that maybe just needs a larger box? Corner box instead of rectangle? Or more privacy? You said he's territorial - do you have other cats that he has to share a box with?

I have no qualms about outdoor cats (I know some people are adamantly against it). I have one myself - she was a rescued kitten from a feral colony, and so prefers outdoors. She sleeps in the garage at night during winter, and on my screened in porch on summer nights. I had another outdoor cat and he up and disappeared one day in January and totally broke my heart. I have no idea what happened to him. Point being - know that outdoor cats are not safe, and you run the risk of losing them, so prepare yourself. But I do agree with you that an outdoor life of freedom, however risky, is better than being locked in a bedroom alone for most of his life.

The 6ft fence may help keep some danger away from the yard, but won't necessarily keep him in (and if he does go over the fence, he's looking at extra work to get back over the fence to safety if he's being chased). Hopefully he is not declawed?

An outdoor cat enclosure is a good option to give him some more interest to his day than in a bedroom. As far as chicken wire vs HWC, keep in mind he'll probably try to climb up the walls, so the structure needs to be pretty strong, even if he's only out during the day.

The rule for acclimating a barn cat to a new home is to keep them enclosed in the barn or other structure for 4-5 weeks before turning them loose, so they have time to learn the sounds/smells of their new home. I would plan for at least that for your cat to acclimate to being outside.

Also, outdoor cats need flea/tick preventative and worm meds regularly. Not something you necessarily have to worry about with an indoor cat. :)

I love that you are trying to give him a better life. So often people just dump their cat on a dirt road or have it put down (or surrender to a shelter who will have to put it down since a cat that pees inside is not adoptable). So thanks for doing the right thing for him! Hope it works out!

First
Hi!

I have a cat who pees all over my house. I was thinking about buying an approximate 13*9 steel chicken run (found on Amazon) and setting it up in my yard for the cat. It comes with chicken wire.

I have raccoons and coyotes are sometimes seen around here, although I've never seen one in my yard. If I were to do this, do you think the chicken wire would be enough for a cat? Or would I need to cover it in wire mesh or hardware cloth? I know that will shoot the cost of this up. :(

Has anyone made an outdoor cage for a cat? I am NOT handy, and short on funds, but do want to protect this cat.
Hi!

I have a cat who pees all over my house. I was thinking about buying an approximate 13*9 steel chicken run (found on Amazon) and setting it up in my yard for the cat. It comes with chicken wire.

I have raccoons and coyotes are sometimes seen around here, although I've never seen one in my yard. If I were to do this, do you think the chicken wire would be enough for a cat? Or would I need to cover it in wire mesh or hardware cloth? I know that will shoot the cost of this up. :(

Has anyone made an outdoor cage for a cat? I am NOT handy, and short on funds, but do want to protect this cat.
First bring your cat to a vet a bladder or kidney infection can cause a cat to do that. Also try a different litter. Your can’t may not like it. I had a cat that was allergic to all litters except paper and saw wood pellets. If it a behavioral problem go on Amazon they sell kits with air can in them and it sprays the cat that tries to go to that spot. Jackson Galaxy has co tablets that works wonders on peed on places. If you put a cat outside make sure it’s on a patio and is all screened in. It’ll keep bugs out as well as other critters. Cats are social animals so don’t keep your fur baby outside all the time. They need you more than you know. I hope this helped.

Back
Top Bottom