Keeping a cat in a chicken run

Ccort

Crowing
Dec 30, 2021
Kentucky, USA
Hi!

I have a cat who pees all over my house. I was thinking about buying an approximate 13*9 steel chicken run (found on Amazon) and setting it up in my yard for the cat. It comes with chicken wire.

I have raccoons and coyotes are sometimes seen around here, although I've never seen one in my yard. If I were to do this, do you think the chicken wire would be enough for a cat? Or would I need to cover it in wire mesh or hardware cloth? I know that will shoot the cost of this up. :(

Has anyone made an outdoor cage for a cat? I am NOT handy, and short on funds, but do want to protect this cat.

Do you have a garage or a barn that the cat can take shelter in? I don't think keeping a cat in that small of space will work.

Have you had the cat to a vet? Maybe it has a kidney issue?
I do not have a garage or barn. I would give him my older chicken coop for extra protection and could bring him in during really bad weather.

He's healthy, just very territorial.

Hey there,

I’m a veteran cat mom. 🐈

1. Is it male? Neutered? If in tact get him neutered and that should help with spraying and it changes the smell.
  2. Cats can be in enclosures but they need to be large and insulated. Also if there are predators chicken wire won’t do it. You will need a finer grid wire and you will need to secure the parameter so they can’t dig. I have many cats and they prefer to poop/pee outside unless weather is inclement. Who wants to do their business freezing 🥶
  3. You can buy an igloo and put it on the porch and let them roam. Just put food and water out. Cats can escape predators if they are free to run.

Hi!

I have a cat who pees all over my house. I was thinking about buying an approximate 13*9 steel chicken run (found on Amazon) and setting it up in my yard for the cat. It comes with chicken wire.

I have raccoons and coyotes are sometimes seen around here, although I've never seen one in my yard. If I were to do this, do you think the chicken wire would be enough for a cat? Or would I need to cover it in wire mesh or hardware cloth? I know that will shoot the cost of this up. :(

Has anyone made an outdoor cage for a cat? I am NOT handy, and short on funds, but do want to protect this cat.

Hi!

Chewy sells a three tier kitty condo. Had a one year old cat with peeing problems and he was bllind. We kept our blind cat in there for 1 year until he learned the rules of using the kitty box. He’s 7 now and no issues. Sounds like it’s a re-training issue.

Hey there,

I’m a veteran cat mom. 🐈

1. Is it male? Neutered? If in tact get him neutered and that should help with spraying and it changes the smell.
  2. Cats can be in enclosures but they need to be large and insulated. Also if there are predators chicken wire won’t do it. You will need a finer grid wire and you will need to secure the parameter so they can’t dig. I have many cats and they prefer to poop/pee outside unless weather is inclement. Who wants to do their business freezing 🥶
  3. You can buy an igloo and put it on the porch and let them roam. Just put food and water out. Cats can escape predators if they are free to run.
He's a neutered male. He's doesn't spray, he full on urinates. He's a stinker butt.
I found an outdoor cat house on Amazon with two windows...thought that way he could escape if need be.
I'm trying to acclimate him to this new life...keeping him out all day right now, most days. The scary part, for me, is leaving him out at night.
I have a six foot privacy fence and so hope he won't leave the yard but I don't know.
Eventually, once he's fully out, I plan to bring him inside during bad storms.
Has anyone here transitioned an indoor cat to the outdoors? How did it go?

Chewy sells a three tier kitty condo. Had a one year old cat with peeing problems and he was bllind. We kept our blind cat in there for 1 year until he learned the rules of using the kitty box. He’s 7 now and no issues. Sounds like it’s a re-training issue.
I've tried retraining with no luck. Some of its trauma for him, I believe and laziness. I have him in a small bedroom now but feel terrible about it. I keep thinking he probably would have a better life outdoors.

Back
Top Bottom