Keeping a fox away

Seen them walk in same field and look dead at each other. This definitely doesnt apply to the real woods .. at least not in my deer lease in arkansas or Louisiana

This is absolutely false...I trap predators during the winter and catch fox, bobcat, coyotes, raccoon, possums all using the smell from coyotes. However, a fox is pretty easy to trap in a live trap so you might try that. They love cat food...

This is absolutely false...I trap predators during the winter and catch fox, bobcat, coyotes, raccoon, possums all using the smell from coyotes. However, a fox is pretty easy to trap in a live trap so you might try that. They love cat food...
Agree 100%. I've seen too many fox lure coyotes away from there dens. They definitely coexist as do deer and coyotes.

Agree 100%. I've seen too many fox lure coyotes away from there dens. They definitely coexist as do deer and coyotes.
I normally split a yotes wig any chance i get. But ive seen too many times on my pipeline a yote walk thru and i let it pass only for 10 min later a buck come out. Now, if i see it chasin a yearlin its lights out. But if its just walking / creeping it gets a pass.

Except for turkey season. No predator gets a yard pass. I will ruin one morning of a bird hunt to further the population any day of the week!!!

I’ve seen foxes high tail it when they hear either dogs or coyotes approaching.
Its loud noise. They hate it. They are curious by nature but disturb them and they freak out. Has nothing to with it being a yote or yote p i ss. Scream at one, let a deer blow at it, it’s hightailing it!!

I normally split a yotes wig any chance i get. But ive seen too many times on my pipeline a yote walk thru and i let it pass only for 10 min later a buck come out. Now, if i see it chasin a yearlin its lights out. But if its just walking / creeping it gets a pass.

Except for turkey season. No predator gets a yard pass. I will ruin one morning of a bird hunt to further the population any day of the week!!!
Split a yotes wig. That's a new one I'll definitely use.

I have used dogs and electrified fencing and electrified poultry netting. With latter two game cameras were out to record interactions. The Red Foxes keep probing with all three as my location is simply part of route, they take covering their territory. That does not mean the means are not effective.

Foxes for me when they are visited, do so on a relatively consistent basis with respect to timing. Coyotes will periodically come into area howling which means as a general rule the foxes will not be probing as much if at all. That said, the coyotes respect my dogs better than the foxes do so coyotes preferable in immediate vicinity.

The most cost-effective electric fencing for me has been 3 or 4 electrified wires at 6" intervals starting 4" above the ground. The fencing alone has some benefit although my dogs made it much more effective. Dog part has not been cheap and difficult to justify for protecting only about 100 free-range chickens.

When all said and done, I seldom try to keep out just one kind of predator. I work to keep them all out using layers of protections and when needed will use traps and light rifle. Camera traps have also been fun as I can figure out when my place becomes part of a predator's route before losses incurred.

If your girls are in a secure run and locked up at night, there should be very low chance that the fox will be able to access them. I assume that eventually, when an easy meal is not had, they will move on. Free ranging is a bad idea in this case. Sorry for your losses.

Back
Top Bottom