Keeping a mean rooster for breeding - logistics

JoshFig

Songster
6 Years
Aug 4, 2015
1st rule: Don't breed a mean rooster - I know (don't worry - all the cockerels will be food - I don't think you have to worry about the aggressive trait w/ hens).

I have a semi-aggressive 5 month old Black Copper Maran that I want to breed over my maran hens for the dark eggs - probably in the December timeframe. My chickens free range - so I don't want him attacking the kids, our guests or my wife. I know there are plenty of roosters out there - but it is a hassle to go out and find a new one that is the breed I want - so if I can make the one I have work, i'd rather do it.

Question: Is it feasible to put him in a quarantine pen (in sight of the girls) for 4 months and put him with the girls for a week or so when i want them to breed - then expire him? Not sure on breeding in that manner when he is not 'their' rooster integrated w/ the flock. Also - would he be rough with the girls since he has been separated for so long (thinking teenage hormones). Any suggestions on whether that is feasible?

I don't see why not. He may not be the happiest guy around, but that's what you get for being a butthead. Yes, chickens are social animals, blah blah blah.....but male livestock wind up being kept separate from time to time and I really don't think any of them actually die of loneliness.

I'd set up a breeding pen, maybe, for when you want to have him cover the hens. Depending on how many hens and how many chicks you want to hatch, you may need longer than a week. I know hens can retain sperm for a few weeks, but I prefer to have the rooster on the hens when I'm setting eggs, that's my personal preference.

Yep, he might be hard on the ladies at first. How old will the hens in question be? If they're same age, youngish pullets, any chance you can put him with some mature hens first, so they can teach him some manners? Let him work things out with them, then put in the desired females.

I don't see why not. He may not be the happiest guy around, but that's what you get for being a butthead. Yes, chickens are social animals, blah blah blah.....but male livestock wind up being kept separate from time to time and I really don't think any of them actually die of loneliness.

I'd set up a breeding pen, maybe, for when you want to have him cover the hens. Depending on how many hens and how many chicks you want to hatch, you may need longer than a week. I know hens can retain sperm for a few weeks, but I prefer to have the rooster on the hens when I'm setting eggs, that's my personal preference.

Yep, he might be hard on the ladies at first. How old will the hens in question be? If they're same age, youngish pullets, any chance you can put him with some mature hens first, so they can teach him some manners? Let him work things out with them, then put in the desired females.
Thanks for the comment. I'm not worried about his feelings - its stewpot or this, so he should consider himself lucky :)

He is already mating w/ these girls. The ones we would want to breed him over in December will be 1.5 yrs and 9 months at that time. I'm not worried about him breeding over the girls - just wondering if keeping him penned up w/o them for 4 months will make him rougher once he gets some 'quality time'.

Last edited:
I like your outlook and awareness going into this.

Go ahead and keep the rooster confined/isolated. He will be fine by himself and also will not "take it out" on the hens at re-introduction. It varies by rooster, all will be extremely excited.. some will just run and take down the nearest hen just to 'get it over with', some will court the hens like mad, maybe force one down or impatiently wait for a hen to squat first.

Over the next few days he will be excited- crowing a lot more, bunch of dancing and food calling, but his excitement to actually mate will be toned down slightly. No beating up or 'punishing' the hens or anything like that.

btw this is really worth if if the rooster is from very dark egg line. If not.. would keep hunting for a new rooster from 'proven' deep dark egg line as an option. The eggs go light way too easily, ugh.

I like your outlook and awareness going into this.

Go ahead and keep the rooster confined/isolated. He will be fine by himself and also will not "take it out" on the hens at re-introduction. It varies by rooster, all will be extremely excited.. some will just run and take down the nearest hen just to 'get it over with', some will court the hens like mad, maybe force one down or impatiently wait for a hen to squat first.

Over the next few days he will be excited- crowing a lot more, bunch of dancing and food calling, but his excitement to actually mate will be toned down slightly. No beating up or 'punishing' the hens or anything like that.

btw this is really worth if if the rooster is from very dark egg line. If not.. would keep hunting for a new rooster from 'proven' deep dark egg line as an option. The eggs go light way too easily, ugh.

He came from a dark chocolate egg directly off the judges table (prize winning) at a local poultry show. So to your last point - yes - i really want him over my maran hens.

Thought about it but its not great from timing. If I collect now and put them in the bator in 2 weeks - we are at a Mid-sept hatch. They would be too big for inside right around nov/dec which is getting into winter. I think they would freeze as coming from the brooder they wouldn't have their winter down.

Jan hatch puts them outside in early March which is friendlier from a weather perspective in N GA.

Can you brood out in the coop?
Setup a separate but adjacent area and have a heat source?
I had a broody hatch out in frigid middle of winter in Michigan a couple years ago.
Also brooded my chicks outside (after one week inside) this early spring, used a heating pad setup instead of heat lamps.

Can you brood out in the coop?
Setup a separate but adjacent area and have a heat source?
I had a broody hatch out in frigid middle of winter in Michigan a couple years ago.
Also brooded my chicks outside (after one week inside) this early spring, used a heating pad setup instead of heat lamps.

Its not a bad idea - If you can do it in MI, I would think GA would be fine. My outdoor 'intermediate' brooder coop is not completely weather proof, so I'd be a bit concerned about an electric heat source, but definitely worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom