Keeping a swamp with water for Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by payner, Nov 18, 2016.

1. payner

payner Just Hatched

Dec 6, 2015
    So I have 7 Rouen ducks that we keep in a swampy area on my property (about waist deep at the deepest). They escape predators by going in the swamp. I have a house for them but I need to keep a pretty good area in the swamp ice free so they have an area to escape to. i really don't want to build another secure pen as I already have one for Chickens and from what I have read, you cannot put male ducks with female Chickens so putting them in there is not an option. Trying to figure out what to do, home made aerator? If so how? I am in Michigan so it does get cold...

Thansk

2. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    Not sure how large an area you are talking but maybe a livestock tank heater or a pond heater. They have ones that sit on the surface but I'm not sure how large an area it would keep from freezing.

You'll also want to consider at what temps you want to keep it on. If the ducks come out of the water into very cold air the water might freeze on their feet and feathers.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I think you will need to set up a Duck pen for Winter......Straw and wind breaks....Live stock panels work or dog runs.....Dog houses or straw houses stacked.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by