Keeping American Games / American Gamefowl as Yard Ornaments

Centrarchid-

I've been reading a lot on here, including many of your previous posts/threads. A couple of things I need clarified-
Can you explain a little more about what you've called "showing cotton "?
What's a bullstag?

Centrarchid-

I've been reading a lot on here, including many of your previous posts/threads. A couple of things I need clarified-
Can you explain a little more about what you've called "showing cotton "?
What's a bullstag?

These are more interesting questions than most posed.

Bullstag is a stag that is in his first adult feather set after all feathers in. That means he is at least least 8 months old. He will be a bullstag until he molts into his second adult feather set which is when he would be called a cock. Cocks and bullstags can be distinguished by feather development and often by behavior. Cocks have longer sicles and more able to get hens to come over to them, partly because of deeper voice. Stag you can ID as male but does not have his first adult feather set in. We do not always distinguish between stags and bullstags especially when age is more important descriptor. Voice different than bullstag. The gameness does not consistently set in until bullstag stag reached. Gameness can be realized earlier but can be influenced by social environment. Can be suppressed by full adult male.

Showing cotton is where the males plumose, often white, feather bases at top of tail base are raised to look like cotton. It is a display structure used to impress strange hens and part of dominance / mating displays that occurs as everyone comes of the roost.

Last edited:
Thanks for such a detailed response, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm not new to chickens, but new to games. I've been drawn to the breed not for cockfighting purposes, but for the behaviors and instincts these birds exhibit. Of particular interest to me are the brooding and mothering of the hens, and the protective tendencies of the cocks.
I want to someday get a trio or so of a heritage meat breed, such as Cornish, and have the game hens hatch and raise the chicks, with the rooster watching over and protecting all.
Personally I think that all chicks, even those raised to be butchered in 10 or 12 weeks, should be raised by a hen, not a box with a heat lamp. Given the unreliable broody instincts of most modern breeds, games seem to be a logical choice for this paradigm.

Games tending meat chicks would free range part time in the evening, and on weekends, in the wooded back half of my property (about a half acre). The main daytime predators in this area are Cooper's hawks.

I know that's not a lot of info to go on, but does it seem doable? Questions, comments, suggestions?

Cornish cross chicks will have hard time growing off natural forages. Mobility is only part of problem. They simply require more nutrition than can be acquired by feeding on live prey. You will have to supplement. You will still be in the same old bind when chicks are weaned as they will not longer be protected by hens. Cock might help some. I am not certain the young meat birds will learn enough to be smarter when they are weaned to finish out free-range. Also I do not know how long they will stay imprinted on hen. You need to ask someone that has actually hen reared Cornish X to get a handle on that.

No, not Cornish x. I mean regular Cornish, or maybe white rock. A meat bird that may take longer to finish but is a little more mobile and self sufficient than cx.

Sorry if that wasn't entirely clear in the above post

You bring up a good point though, they may have to be separated from the games as they approach slaughtering size. I suppose if the cockerels start acting "male " the game cock might become a little harsh with them

Here's another question-is there any meaningful difference in the varieties of American games? I mean as far as instinctive behavior.

I got hatching eggs from an eBay seller that were advertised as "breeders choice ", half were marked as claret and half as ruble hatch. Through Internet research I now have an idea what they'll look like, but how about temperament?

Another good breed for both meat and eggs, I have recently discovered, is Black Copper Marans. They grow fast. Cocks reach 8-9 pounds in no time. Hens, around 7-8 pounds. I have read their meat is very tasty. I will be finding out soon. Both my game hens have chicks out of my Marans rooster. Also, so far, all of the chicks seem quite robust, and doing well without a lot help from me. Game hens are the perfect mothers.

Back
Top Bottom