Keeping backyard hens away from certain areas?

RachelJoy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
I have 5 girls living in my backyard. It's a good sized yard, and fenced in, and everything is going well. But sometimes the hens forget that it is our yard too!

They love to hang out on the picnic table, and now seem to spend a lot of time on our back step looking in through the glass door. I'm glad they're friendly and interested in our lives, but I'm not so glad that they poop all over the table, the benches, the back step, the adirondack chairs, etc.

Other than installing fencing, is there any way to encourage them to stay away from certain areas? Our dog helps out when he's on his run line (which he is now banished too, since he still seems to want to eat the hens so he can't go out loose), but he's only out there when we're home.

I'm guessing this may be futile, but if you have any suggestions, please share!

Thanks,

Rachel

Chickens are not smart enough to be trained that way. We have free range chickens and we knew going in that they would be all over. we welcome it. It is natural and old-timey to have them clucking happily about. We have a hose handy and watch our step. Chicken poop will not kill you. You will have to learn to live with it or else have a mile of fencing in your yard. Make your choice.

I love having my guys come up on the porch with us when they're out in the evenings. It makes me feel good knowing they trust us enough to come "hang out" with us for a while, when they could be out chasing bugs, taking dirt baths, eating, etc.
big_smile.png

One more thought, you are not doing your dog any favors by restricting his backyard freedom. Dogs CAN be trained to leave the chickens alone. Take the time for training, you owe it to him.

Back
Top Bottom