Keeping Bedding and Eggs in Boxes

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by barnett1957, Dec 7, 2012.

1. barnett1957

barnett1957 New Egg

May 9, 2012
    OK the title is somewhat misleading. I am interested in anyones advice on keeping bedding in my nesting boxes. I have about a 1.5" lip but the girls just kick it right out as soon as I fill it up. They seem to lay fine without the bedding material but I have had a few cracked eggs from being layed right on the wooden boxes. Is there some kind of straw mats, padded material etc. that can be placed in the boxes?

Question #2 I am having issues with one of the girls laying in random places. I really want to freerange but if I do for more than 1 day in a row my Wynndotte will start laying ggs everywhere (garden path, bedding bag etc) again any help would be great thanks. I have done the "stay in the coop for a few days in a row" but not effective and the run is really muddy/miserable this time of year. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You could make the lip a bit taller. Lots of folks put that rubbery, soft shelf lining in the bottom of the next boxes for padding, even more than one layer if thin. It's easily washable. You can also use carpet scraps.

I have no ideas for the Wyandotte, though, sorry [​IMG]

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    A lot of hens tend to lay in the morning. If this seems to be she schedule as well perhaps leave them in the coop a bit longer in the morning and let them out to free range after she has laid, you schedule permitting.

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I find that a 4" lip is the lowest that works to keep bedding in. You can also buy nest box liners - Randall Burkey carries them.

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Put one or two fake eggs in your nests. Plastic Easter Eggs, golf balls, wooden eggs, etc. all work great. Chickens see these and perceive that as a safe place to lay eggs because someone else laid there and wasn't eaten.

That might help encourage your gal to lay in the nest.

And they do sell rubber mats for nest boxes. I can't recall where. They looked like fake grass or astro turf to me. Only a bit thicker. Or what about straw. Would that be more challenging for them to kick out?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by