Keeping call ducks indoor??

i completely agree ducks need to spend their days outside. but you just didn’t spend enough time with your ducks for them to be friendly, any breed will be the best pets if you spend enough time with them. i cuddle my ducks daily and even take them places with me and they are 100% human friendly
Oh I'm sure. I am a mother and have a life that doesn't allow me to spend all day with them every day. We have our "outside time" and "pea time" every single day and they enjoy that. I'm okay with that though. I didn't get them to serve as dogs or anything. They are by far tamer than most ducks though as they were coddled every day as babies.

Oh I'm sure. I am a mother and have a life that doesn't allow me to spend all day with them every day. We have our "outside time" and "pea time" every single day and they enjoy that. I'm okay with that though. I didn't get them to serve as dogs or anything.
"Pea time"... That really cracked me up.

No surprise there. I can just picture all those sweet little calls, running for peas. 🥰
I just scream "Ducks!" in a high pitched voice, and they all come running. It's the universal treat call.
I scream "PEA PEA PEA PEA PEAAAA" and they all come over to the "pea bench". If I had neighbors, I imagine they'd think I was certifiably crazy.

I've raised my Calls from hatch. They cannot stand being picked up or coddled. They only tolerate a pet or two.

If you live in a townhouse, it would be best to stick with pets suitable for that type of home. Not livestock that really needs to live outside.
i completely agree ducks need to spend their days outside. but you just didn’t spend enough time with your ducks for them to be friendly, any breed will be the best pets if you spend enough time with them. i cuddle my ducks daily and even take them places with me and they are 100% human friendly
:lau You could not have spent more time with them then she did.
More like she spent too much time and they've had enough. :lau

In my experience, I've raised a few single ducks indoors for the first 5-6 weeks. Held them cuddled them daily carried them with me all over the place everything but putting a diaper on and just letting them roam around freely in my house.
But I also took them outside everyday and let them visit the flock.
At a certain point if given the opportunity most are going to prefer to join the flock instead of being coddled indoors.
And that imo is a good thing.
They are still my friendliest ducks but do not like to be petted or picked up much at all.

The reason most people don't think ducks belong indoors is because of the sheer amount of mess they make.
It would be possible to keep your ducks indoors, but it's not going to be easy to set up something convenient for you to keep everything clean, and it wouldn't be as nice for them as having access to the outdoors.
I don't have call ducks so I can't speak on their personality. I just know they are super adorable. 🥰
In my experience, I've raised a few single ducks indoors for the first 5-6 weeks. Held them cuddled them daily carried them with me all over the place everything but putting a diaper on and just letting them roam around freely in my house.
But I also took them outside everyday and let them visit the flock.
At a certain point if given the opportunity most are going to prefer to join the flock instead of being coddled indoors.
And that imo is a good thing.
They are still my friendliest ducks but do not like to be petted or picked up much at all.
What I am thinking is maybe two drakes or more as I know they’re way more quiet than female. And let them all roam in my house, with their own room that got UV lamp, pool, coop and pine shaving for them to walk on.

Back
Top Bottom