keeping chickens cool in hot weather

Shade, shade and more shade. Replacing water frequently so it stays somewhat cool; some people even put ice in their waterer. Freeze jugs of water to put in the run so the chickens can stand next to them and cool off. Pans of water that the chickens can stand in. Misters. Spray a corner of the run with water so the dirt is cooler there.

I put reflective foil insulation on the top of my white polycarb roofed coop in the morning, then pull it off in the evening. This helps stop the coop from heating up like an oven under the sun.

Fortunately I also have heat tolerant breeds of chickens. I wish I could say the same for myself! This is already shaping up to be a miserably hot and humid summer in North Texas. Whew.
What are your heat tolerant breeds? Maybe I have some of them.

I live in south central texas, summers are brutal so this year I added 6 andalucian chicks to my flock, they are a mediterranean breed and very heat hardy. According to my research, all mediterranean breeds are very heat tolerant.

We have mutts: part Serama, part Old English Game bantams, and a few of them have a dash of Belgian d'Uccle mixed in there as well. We have two pure Belgian d"Uccles and they're the ones that mind the heat the most: looser feathers, the feathered feet, no wattles.

We have mutts: part Serama, part Old English Game bantams, and a few of them have a dash of Belgian d'Uccle mixed in there as well. We have two pure Belgian d"Uccles and they're the ones that mind the heat the most: looser feathers, the feathered feet, no wattles.
I don't have any of these breeds, just the usual run Ameraucana, Australorps, BR's BO. I did want a d"Uccles but maybe not due to the heat as you mentioned.

Thank you. I'm in CA too and the last couple days its been over 100 but I I notice they seem to be hot. Those are some good ideas. I want to keep them cool. I just started putting them outside. They are about 6 weeks old. now I lost count honestly. But they do make me happy.

Thank you. I'm in CA too and the last couple days its been over 100 but I I notice they seem to be hot. Those are some good ideas. I want to keep them cool. I just started putting them outside. They are about 6 weeks old. now I lost count honestly. But they do make me happy.
Yes, it's been quite hot. I tried the suggestion here of freezing a jug and putting it in the coop at night and it really helped. Also, I crushed some ice very fine and put it into a pan with their veggies and fruits.

Hey i am close by in North Carolina.I am about to get some chicks and wonder what breeds do you or anyone else near us in Va or NC recommend.As you know NC has blistering heat , brutal cold and rain rain.

I searched for this very topic and got some good ideas from this old thread. :) I also have large ice packs that were shipped with frozen food that I had ordered....they are the size of small throw pillows. I put one between 2 towels and left it outside in the run. My chicks have been walking all over it. I also have 3 frozen 16oz bottles of water with a dish towel covering it for them to cuddle up to if they go inside the coop to get in front of the fan. Of course, fresh cool water....going to try the frozen veggies tomorrow. Its 87 here in northern NY today but going up to 94 by wednesday and the humidity is ridiculous!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom