Keeping Chickens for Their Entire Lifespan

My 8 cents: (2 cents adjusted for inflation).
My city only allows us to keep six hens. I built my coop with that in mind, it's 24 sq ft, giving me 4 sq per bird. I have a small pen(being enlarged this spring), and I let them forage in my yard against city ordinance.
I started with four hens, knowing I would want to add more in a couple years when they stopped laying. I also started out with breeds known for being great layers, a RIR, a Gold Comet, and an Australorp. And a Wyandotte, just because they are so dang attractive. I wanted as many eggs as possible.
It wasn't until this last winter that I made the connection that production layers stop laying sooner. I had to give away the GC for aggression issues, leaving me with three birds. I have EEs and Wellsumes on order for April. Both are decent layers, but not production breeds, and I anticipate that those two, and my Wyandotte, will keep me in eggs for a much longer period. If my RIR and Australorp stop laying, so be it. I love my pets, and will keep them in happy retirement as long as I can.
This gives me only five birds, so I can add in that Black Copper Marans I have been drooling over next spring. Or an Olive Egger... Or a Cream Legbar, if the price ever goes down...
Chicken math happens, plan for it. Know what your capabilities are, and start small so you have room to add more ladies in the future, because we all know it will happen, either because you get addicted or want more eggs.

Last edited:
You can grow mealworms in oatmeal too

Thanks. I know . I am allergic to oats and will eat a miniscule amount when a food contains it (not knowing it is in it) - because it seems to be in about everything. I start to get a rash, also when touching it. I may have to resort to that and get some plastic gloves and try not to breathe it in.

Back
Top Bottom