Keeping Chickens Free Range

. They waiting own their evening treat

Hey y'all, I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for getting my chickens used to free ranging. My husband is very worried they will all take off and never come back. We are new to chickens and they have been in their coop run for 3 weeks. He doesn't want to let them out, but I think it's best for them to get out. Should I just try to lure them back to their coop with treats? They seem used to us, so will they fly the coop, so to speak?

Take note of when they normally put themselves to bed. Let them out to range an hour before that time. They won't have time to go far and will likely go right back in the run when it's time to roost for the night. If all goes well, extend the length of time they are out an hour or so at a time.

You may have to put them away in the middle of the day so lure them back with treats. You can train them to come when called pretty simply by pairing your call with dropped treats. I call my girls and they come running for sunflower seeds. I like to tell myself they love me but they really just think I'm a treat dispenser.

Take note of when they normally put themselves to bed. Let them out to range an hour before that time. They won't have time to go far and will likely go right back in the run when it's time to roost for the night. If all goes well, extend the length of time they are out an hour or so at a time.

You may have to put them away in the middle of the day so lure them back with treats. You can train them to come when called pretty simply by pairing your call with dropped treats. I call my girls and they come running for sunflower seeds. I like to tell myself they love me but they really just think I'm a treat dispenser.

goodpost.gif
Yes, This sounds good. I don't use a coop, but when i step out at dusk to call them for a treat, they run right over from the tree they roost in. MEANING-they will go to where Home is to sleep. 3 Weeks is PLENTY of time for them to realize the coop is there 'home'. The timing sounds correct also, an hour b4 dusk, etc. Not sure why would need to put them in mid day for..Predators? But that's me...
tongue.png

Good Luck! They SEEM Happier, when free. Better, they are used to laying INSIDE the coop so you won't have to scout around for eggs like some of us do...
Maybe sit in chairs, enjoy a cold drink, feed them treats, bread bits, a couple of nights a week, to ease Hubby's worries? If able, I feed my kids their own hard boiled eggs. AND TALK ABOUT KEEPING THE BUGS DOWN!!
Good luck

Well we can't totally free range. We have a large backyard, but not like acreage. We also have dogs so the animals would need to rotate. I don't feel comfortable leaving the dogs out with the chickens. I am going to try this. They love mealworms so I will get well stocked before trying! Hopefully we can figure it out because It kills me to see them locked up all day. Their coop run area is large, but not large enough!

To each his own. I'm NOT forcing on another, may not fit.
ep.gif
Have to find your own routine.
OH, Yeah WATCH THE DOG! Until he had chick bodies hanging from his collar, I had one chomp on chickens when he thought they were 'Playing" with him? INCLUDING a Rooster!
Revolving sounds like a good idea. I am on a budget so I collect the moths, bugs I can catch, stick them in a small jar. Throwing out Kitchens scraps, is good also. ANYTHING seed they WILL eat! NOT sure who, but I threw out ALREADY cut end tips of radishes last night. They were gone within and hour...Dog gets jealous of what is fed to others though..
hu.gif

Have a good Summer evening with them while it lasts?

H
Well we can't totally free range. We have a large backyard, but not like acreage. We also have dogs so the animals would need to rotate. I don't feel comfortable leaving the dogs out with the chickens. I am going to try this. They love mealworms so I will get well stocked before trying! Hopefully we can figure it out because It kills me to see them locked up all day. Their coop run area is large, but not large enough!

Just curios about your dogs personality and training ability.... Everyone told me I couldn't train my pitbull to herd chickens and protect them and a chihuahua mix too. I did and life is good with the pack of chickens and two dogs together... Not saying that every dog can be trained but just a thought.

Talks a little gave good advice. If ur birds have been in their coop 3wks they know thats home. Let them out at dusk or earlier if you have the time n stand there. Keep the door open n they will get used to their surroundings going in and out until they go in to roost. Do this a few days in a row and they will range further n further but come home every night.
Thats how I have done with all my new birds. They know the coop is home but have to learn how to find it from the outside.

I ordered a big shipment of mealworms and will be trying all this when they get in. The hubby doesn't want to try without them. Tomorrow I will set up a nice lounging area (it's still 97 here at dusk) with some cool drinks, maybe a hard version for the hubs so he can relax about it all lol
I'm working on training the dogs. Our pit mix seems to not care about them at all. Cocks his head when the birds get loud, but otherwise ignores them. My mini dachshund though is a different story! She thinks she is a bad *** hunter, all of her 8 pounds. She has caught gophers so maybe she is. She still rushes their run a few times a day. But backs off immediately when called. It will be a process. I've been reading up on the articles here on dog training. Big guy has a muzzle, but the little girl doesn't.
We will figure it out, we are still pretty brand new to this.

Back
Top Bottom