Keeping Chickens Free Range

My chickies are allowed to free range during the day when I'm home, but they are not very adventurous and will usually return themselves to the coop/run after a few minutes.

Before deciding to free range my 4 hens, I asked all the chicken people around here about predators and all those who free range reported no problems with predators and said they lock up their birds at night. Two different people whose chickens were killed did not free range them...the hens were killed in their runs by dogs who tore through wire mesh. That made my decision.
Mine have been free range about 10 months now, and in spite of seeing hawks, snakes, raccoons, and even coyotes in the daytime, we've been safe so far. We live out in the country, lots of woods around us.

Before deciding to free range my 4 hens, I asked all the chicken people around here about predators and all those who free range reported no problems with predators and said they lock up their birds at night. Two different people whose chickens were killed did not free range them...the hens were killed in their runs by dogs who tore through wire mesh. That made my decision.
Mine have been free range about 10 months now, and in spite of seeing hawks, snakes, raccoons, and even coyotes in the daytime, we've been safe so far. We live out in the country, lots of woods around us.

I hadn't lost any flock members to predators in the last four years until about a month ago. I do keep them in a coop at night and have a run just in case. I had a fox coming through my yard and had started keeping them in their run until later in the mornings. Before I had let them out of their run one morning, two dogs came through, the smaller one got into the run (which has since been reinforced) while the other, a saint bernard, ate a hole through the human door. When I heard the commotion I ran out, chasing the st Bernard away and opened the door to find the smaller dog had killed our beloved SLW and had three live hens in a pile and she was laying on them and chewing the wing of my Golden Spangled Hamburg. I dragged the dog out and took her to the shelter and filed a report. My GSH spent the next few days in the house while I tended to her wounds and I really didn't think she'd make it but she's a survivor. For a while, so much flesh was torn from her wing that I didn't think her flight feathers would ever grow back in but they have. Confining them makes them much easier to catch for any predator.

I hadn't lost any flock members to predators in the last four years until about a month ago.  I do keep them in a coop at night and have a run just in case.  I had a fox coming through my yard and had started keeping them in their run until later in the mornings.  Before I had let them out of their run one morning, two dogs came through, the smaller one got into the run (which has since been reinforced) while the other, a saint bernard, ate a hole through the human door.  When I heard the commotion I ran out, chasing the st Bernard away and opened the door to find the smaller dog had killed our beloved SLW and had three live hens in a pile and she was laying on them and chewing the wing of my Golden Spangled Hamburg.  I dragged the dog out and took her to the shelter and filed a report.  My GSH spent the next few days in the house while I tended to her wounds and I really didn't think she'd make it but she's a survivor.  For a while, so much flesh was torn from her wing that I didn't think her flight feathers would ever grow back in but they have.  Confining them makes them much easier to catch for any predator. 
full disclosure. You all are fast kinder than i. I have had "neighborhood" dogs get into my yard twice now and hurt my chickens whom free range during the day. I was so upset at how badly my best been was hurt that i gave that dog the same treatment it gave my poor loving hen. I can't stand song kind and defenseless creatures being attacked because these stay dogs are bored. Probably not the right thing to do....If i Lived in the country though i suspect is just have a fox or a coon shot. I am not ruining a free all you can eat buffet but these dogs are not even hungry just mean and bored.

Last edited:
i have not encountered any predator a goose wouldn't defend the flock from including strange humans.

While geese might try to defend a flock they can fall prey to foxes too, especially a family of foxes with kits to feed. A neighbor had all their geese picked off by foxes.
Unfortunately foxes are extremely wary about being trapped. We have been easily able to trap opossum and raccoons but foxes are an entirely different story.
They're wary, smart and sneaky. About the only sure thing here is electric wiring, barriers the fox can't get through or leaving a big enough dog with the flock. And the foxes even learn when the dogs are out.

While geese might try to defend a flock they can fall prey to foxes too, especially a family of foxes with kits to feed.  A neighbor had all their geese picked off by foxes.
     Unfortunately foxes are extremely wary about being trapped.  We have been easily able to trap opossum and raccoons but foxes are an entirely different story.
     They're wary, smart and sneaky.  About the only sure thing here is electric wiring, barriers the fox can't get through or leaving a big enough dog with the flock.  And the foxes even learn when the dogs are out.
You're right of course.there is no substitute for the best defence.vigilant humans.

You're right of course.there is no substitute for the best defence.vigilant humans.

I try to protect my birds from Waterfowl too...
gig.gif

Last edited:
full disclosure. You all are fast kinder than i. I have had "neighborhood" dogs get into my yard twice now and hurt my chickens whom free range during the day. I was so upset at how badly my best been was hurt that i gave that dog the same treatment it gave my poor loving hen. I can't stand song kind and defenseless creatures being attacked because these stay dogs are bored. Probably not the right thing to do....If i Lived in the country though i suspect is just have a fox or a coon shot. I am not ruining a free all you can eat buffet but these dogs are not even hungry just mean and bored.

I don't keep a gun in this house. I did before I moved here a few years ago and shot a fox who had gotten all of my ducks and all but two of my hens. When it was within 25' of my two year old son and casually walking towards him while he was playing in the front yard, twice within four days and that was it for me. I took my grandfather"s old .22 rifle off the wall, cleaned it and started target practice before staking out for two weeks waiting to get that ______ fox.

If I did have a gun here and was faced with those dogs again, I honestly don't know what I would or could be capable of. Knowing it's the fault of the owners and not the dogs, I think I'd feel guilty either way. I have, however, been spreading the word around my part of town to fellow flock keepers and they're all more than happy to do what I have my doubts about.

I don't know, maybe it's from being raised in a town and central location and not in the country or maybe it's just me personally, or that I love dogs, I don't know, but I personally don't think I could ever just shoot a dog. Even if it was a stray. Even if it was going after my chickens. Well, maybe if it was attacking my chickens it might be different but even then I don't think so. I'd probably just be like island girl and go chase the dog (s) off or physically drag them away. If me simply going out there wasn't enough then I'd start making tons of noise and acting scary. If that still wasn't enough or they turned aggressive I might get a broom or shovel or something (or my foot) and scare them some more, maybe injure them, but I don't think I could kill them. And especially with the stray thing, you don't know for sure that it's a stray. It could have simply slipped it's collar and that's why it's not wearing one or even if it's dirty and skinny maybe it's just a lost pet that's been missing a while or isn't from the area. Of course being skinny and dirty usually is a pretty good sign it's been abandoned but still. And if you know it's not a stray then I don't know, to me that's somebody's pet and even if it was attacking my chickens it's still a pet. Heck, there's people who may shoot for it just being in the yard. Not saying any of you but I've heard of people like that. That's not right to me, attacking is one thing but just being there nope for me. The way I look at it is that if my dog got loose (which he used to a lot when younger but we found a way to contain him) and somebody shot and killed him I would be devastated. Any good owner would probably be. Now, that said, you don't know if they're a good owner cause some people who's dogs get loose keep them in the backyard and don't care about them but you never know if they're that owner and a loving owner. And some owners will even feel bad their dog caused damages and offer to pay for the birds and damage! Don't know unless you ask. Heck, knowing me I'd probably even try rescuing the dogs haha dog rescues and chickens may not exactly go well together but i do wanna try it one time.

And sorry, i realize this may come off as me trying to say youre a bad person for shooting dogs or whatever but I'm not saying that at all nor am I trying to. I completely understand wanting to protect your flock. I'm just saying that for me personally I don't think I could ever shoot a dog. And then I rambled because I tend to do that haha sorry. Another reason for me is most dogs can be trained out of bad behavior and also most dogd chase and attack cause it's a big fun game. Of course some are hungry or have prey instincts but i know it's not the dogs fault i guess is what i am saying. Of course I'm not saying I'd train the dog, no way, but I'd just bring him back to his owner or the shelter and tell them to contain him better or train him. If he kept coming back I probably would jist take him to the shelter.

Anyway, i dont even think i could shoot a fox or coyote lol

Back
Top Bottom