Keeping Chickens from Flying out of fenced in run?

Is there a reason you don't trust the dogs? Bc if the dogs can jump , the chickens are not safe in the pen/run too. Especially not if you clip the wings.
A chickens with clipped wings can’t flee.

Netting and a roof is a good idea imo. It protects the chickens against dogs, hawks and some other predators.

I would not clip only 1 wing. In my opinion it's cruel because they can still try to fly and end up getting really hurt. Just do both, it only takes a second.

Is there a reason you don't trust the dogs? Bc if the dogs can jump , the chickens are not safe in the pen/run too. Especially not if you clip the wings.
A chickens with clipped wings can’t flee.

Netting and a roof is a good idea imo. It protects the chickens against dogs, hawks and some other predators.
Yeah when we first got chickens my one dog snuck in the backyard fence (prior to the run where we just them have free range of) somehow and ripped a very large chunk out of my one hen. It took over a month to get her fixed up and was a mess, that poor hen, she made it but barely.
We’ve had the fenced in run for 2 months now and they have no interest in jumping in or really even the chickens. It’s like they only care when they could run up to them and kill them. Interestingly enough my pullet that was out tonight was out with my dogs for about 5 minutes before I got out there, I’m pretty sure she just hid from them because it was dusk and she is a darker coloring. She just popped up next to me when I got to the run door and was like “oh hey, I want back in now” lol.
My husband said the same thing about her not being able to get away from any kind of predator too if her wings are clipped. I’m not super worried right now about the other predators, but definitely worried about my dogs. I think I may end up roofing a little and netting the rest at this point to ease my fears overall

I would not clip only 1 wing. In my opinion it's cruel because they can still try to fly and end up getting really hurt. Just do both, it only takes a second.
It's not cruel. I do this to many of my chickens and there is no risk at all. They can still fly, just not as high, and they are not so off balance they will crash.

Back
Top Bottom