Keeping chickens off my porch!

svh

Chirping
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
I've only had these chickens for about 5 or 6 weeks. The previous owner constantly complained about poop on the porch, so I prepared myself to deal with this problem.

For the first couple of weeks, I kept a close eye on mine when they free ranged, (I'm retired, so that makes it easier) and whenever they came up on the deck, I would run out, all crazy, waving my arms, a'stomping and a'yellin, throwin snowballs, or whatever I could get my hands on. This wound the dogs up as well, and they would join in the madness, barkin, and jumping around and such.

The birds did NOT like this, and would run for their lives !!!

They seem to follow me, especially after a treat, so I purposely go around the back, or side to enter the house, so they don't see me go in the front door.

I ONLY feed them over by the coop, so hopefully they won't associate the house with me/food.

This method seems to be workin, because they have not even tried to come up on the deck lately. In fact yesterday, I watched them through the window, all standin there eyeballin the nice handrail, thinkin how lovely it would be to roost up there, BUT they did not act on it !!!

I ran em off anyway, with the same techniques as above, and didn't see them for the remainder of the afternoon.

Cazook

In the Brooder
Nov 24, 2019
mine do come to the porch because they know they will get a treat from that direction when i exit the house. i would say not to acknowledge them if they are in that area and to shoo them away (no need to get overzealous though)

but as chickens said, they will generally go where they want unless you confine them to a run. if you don't want to deal with pesky chickens making themselves a nuisance, then confine them

Reactions: svh

BDutch

Crowing
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
  • I have tiny bantams. Their poo is tiny too. Not half the nuisance as big chickens poo.
  • Our chickens are afraid of dogs, and don’t go near the neighbor’s house anymore since they have a dog.
Another idea; If you put a material in front of you’re porch they don’t like to step on (like hard brooms upside down ) , maybe it can keep the heavy chickens away from the porch. And you can easily step over it. Maybe worth a try ?

LikeTurkeys

Songster
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
  • I have tiny bantams. Their poo is tiny too. Not half the nuisance as big chickens poo.
  • Our chickens are afraid of dogs, and don’t go near the neighbor’s house anymore since they have a dog.
Another idea; If you put a material in front of you’re porch they don’t like to step on (like hard brooms upside down ) , maybe it can keep the heavy chickens away from the porch. And you can easily step over it. Maybe worth a try ?
Your chickens are afraid of dogs?! That's so cool! Our neighbors have dogs that have at least twice got out and killed some of the chickens, and yet the chickens still go to the side of the road to taunt them. Don't know why.

BDutch

Crowing
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
Your chickens are afraid of dogs?! That's so cool! Our neighbors have dogs that have at least twice got out and killed some of the chickens, and yet the chickens still go to the side of the road to taunt them. Don't know why.
Like to read more about my chickens an the dog? Brw: there are no problems anymore now. The chickens don't fly over the fence to the neighbors since. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/what-to-do-chickens-afraid-of-dog-flight-to-neighbors-garden.1341942/#post-22005574

rbnk1

Songster
Jul 10, 2017
Clarksville, Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
My hens congregate on my back porch too...its a mess to cleanup after they go in to bed for the night, but its worth the trade-off to me. I love looking out and seeing their little faces looking up at me :)

cluckmecoop7

Free Ranging
Jan 4, 2019
North East USA
If you have dog that likes to chase the chickens, put it on a "pick-it (?)" line on the porch (not too long!!) put the dog out a few times a day. The chickens might learn to stay away and think, "That place has a scary monster. We will stay away." lol - just a idea.

Top Bottom