Keeping chickens warm

my coop is insulated and I have 2 heat lamps
Do you know what temperature it is inside their coop?
Does their water freeze, or does it stay liquid?

Water is an important point in winter. If the water is frozen, the chickens get thirsty, and then they will not eat either.

I grew up in Alaska, so we also had really cold winters.
I would take chicken food (layer pellets or chick starter or any similar thing) and add water to make a warm mush. Then I offered that twice a day. They would gobble it down fast, getting both food and water at once. I would also leave dry food available all the time, and provide liquid water at least twice a day, but I found that a good cropful of wet feed twice a day seemed to help. I tried to make the right amount of wet feed so they ate it all up before it froze, because of course they can't eat it once it freezes ;) But taking the extra into the house to stay thawed until the next time could also work fine.

X whatever..

High protein is very important in very cold temps.

I find 18 the minimum, and 20% is better.

Since protein is so important in super cold ( -10F and colder), treats have to really be watched since you don't want to decrease the protein level.

I find mixing healthy fats and protein with their feed is a good choice.

I usually use olive oil and freezer burnt salmon... but meal worms or canned tuna would also work.

Do remember that they NEED unlimited feed since they will eat a crazy amount to stay warm.

Also, since you are up north,make sure that they have 10 hours of light so that they have the time to eat enough.

Chickens will not eat in the dark.
I do have a light and it is on for at least 10 to 12 hours I will give them canned tuna tonight and they have unlimited food

Do you know what temperature it is inside their coop?
Does their water freeze, or does it stay liquid?

Water is an important point in winter. If the water is frozen, the chickens get thirsty, and then they will not eat either.

I grew up in Alaska, so we also had really cold winters.
I would take chicken food (layer pellets or chick starter or any similar thing) and add water to make a warm mush. Then I offered that twice a day. They would gobble it down fast, getting both food and water at once. I would also leave dry food available all the time, and provide liquid water at least twice a day, but I found that a good cropful of wet feed twice a day seemed to help. I tried to make the right amount of wet feed so they ate it all up before it froze, because of course they can't eat it once it freezes ;) But taking the extra into the house to stay thawed until the next time could also work fine.
The water does freeze I just give them fresh multiple times a day I will try giving them wet food thanks

@Alaskan could help you, and anyone in northern Canada.
PLEASE fix their diet!!! Malnutrition is not helpful at all. Buy an all-flock feed, and offer oyster shell in a separate feeder, making sure that the mill date on each bag of feed is within a month, if possible.
That's cold!
Mary
It is freezing up here right now. I worry too some times... we feed a quality layer feed and some vaseline or stop peck on the combs to help with frost bite..

It is freezing up here right now. I worry too some times... we feed a quality layer feed and some vaseline or stop peck on the combs to help with frost bite.
My chickens have pea combs so their is a smaller chance of frostbite but I might put something on them just in case.

I do turn in a heat lamp in my coop when it is -30F... -34C for a week or two.
I think you will see an improvement with the change in diet. I do give my flock scratch but only in the more or mid day on the weekends to make sure they are active and not bored.

I do turn in a heat lamp in my coop when it is -30F... -34C for a week or two.
I think you will see an improvement with the change in diet. I do give my flock scratch but only in the more or mid day on the weekends to make sure they are active and not bored.
They have heat lamps and I give them scratch grains and I spend quite a bit of time in their just being with them

Back
Top Bottom