Keeping Chickens Water Cold?

HippieAtHeart

Peace, Love & Chickens ✌️
Mar 22, 2020
Southeastern Pennsylvania
So I originally wanted to use horizontal nipples on a 5 gallon bucket to have water for my chickens but have yet to train them how to use it...one of these days I will when it’s not so hot out. In the mean time I’m using chick waterers, bowls, and a long flat tub filled with water. I refill water daily during the middle of the day mainly to help keep it cool for them.

Does anyone have a trick they use to keep water cool throughout a hot day?

Shaded waterers here. Once the run is completely shaded, I’ll give them fresh cool water in at least one waterer. In addition I’ll make them wet feed and push ice cubes down it. My flock loves wet feed, so they gobble it up over the course of an hour or so.

I freeze big 32 oz (yogurt or similar) containers of water and put them in the waterer once or twice a day. If it's really hot I use a shallow feed pan so they can wade or drink. I have to teach them to wade since they don't naturally do that.

This is a continuous job here in AZ so I'm glad to be working from home right now. We've had over 110 degree days for about 3 weeks or so with no end in sight.

I also have misters or wet cotton sheets/tablecloths under shadecloth over the hardware cloth walls to try to keep them cooler. This is evaporative cooling - only works if it is not too humid already.

I might try to rig up a cooler (like for soda full of ice) to fill with water/ice and run into a watering system. I haven't done this yet.

I am using a long PVC pipe with water nipples. That pipe is attached to a large cooler that I fill with water and ice. It keeps the water nice and cool for them.
2 water bottles.. In the tube.. Living in Redding.. Horrible hot.. check/replace about every 3-4 hrs . Chick waterer.. We add ice to for instant cold..a bucket with nipples.. 2 ice bottles 4r then exchange..

Back
Top Bottom