Keeping Chickens When You Have Arthritis.

Pics
Brenda you are welcome to join us more the better I have closing of the spinal column in my neck, osteo arthritis and am blind in the right 30 percent tunnel in the left due to Graves disease. With neuropathy in my feet so may tip over like a drunk, but stubborn as the day is long refusing to give up and die went for a hair cut have a peep trying to die so have not got on till now

Hi everyone. I was just discussing this with @penny1960 over at the Old Folks Home and she gets credit for coming up with this idea for a thread.

I was just diagnosed today with osteoarthritis and borderline rheumatoid arthritis. Starting shots this week. In the meantime, I have a flock of over 50 birds who anxiously watch for the treat lady to show up every morning and afternoon with fresh water and goodies to eat.

I'm sure Penny and I aren't the only two people here on the forum with arthritis of one sort or another. Doctor's orders for me are to keep active, which I told him would be no problem.

Still I have noticed over the past year that it's getting harder to do the manual labor stuff that goes into flock keeping, and what I do hurts more than it did 6 months ago. I'm also dealing with loss of dexterity and strength in my hands.

I'm looking for ideas. How do you cut corners, make chores easier, what devices or remedies have really helped you as you deal with keeping a flock and dealing with joint and muscle pain.

I'll start things out with this idea. I have a little cart that my husband made for me along with a wagon that I use to haul feed and water from the feed room in our shop out to the birds. I'll get pictures tomorrow of both. The little cart is three wheeled and we are going to be adding different wheels to it to make it easier to push.

I also wear heavy wool gloves in the winter and do everything I can not to get my hands wet.

Looking forward to hearing other ideas and also feel free to discuss pain control, and obstacles you are encountering as you deal with joint pain along with flock care.
I work at a vets office, and have seen amazing things with laser therapy. Also, chiropractors are seeing healing, reduced inflammation, and pain relief from even one 15 minute session of therapy. My friend was seriously scratched all over her face by a cat, and after one treatment the scratches were healed in 4 days, WITH NO SCARS! I've ordered one for home use for my dogs. Research this subject on the internet. Doctors don't always tell us the cheap or easy way out, its up to us to explore and share.

Good thread. I need to spend some time reading others responses. I have degenerative disk disease, which causes me to have constant nerve pain, and I am now unable to lift anything.

:pop
You fit right in here!

I have arthritis in my foot and likely other places. The pain it mild now but will likely need the tips here and support too one day.

I did have surgery for spinal stenosis. It worked and I am pain free now.

When I have a good day I tend to do too much and suffer for days after! Bad days I feed water chickens and water garden then rest ( rainy days are a blessing when I feel bad! Don’t have to water containers! )

Everyone is telling me to keep my license active with continuing education, haven’t brought myself to do it. I know I can not go back. My disability insurance only approved 2 years based on spinal stenosis. After that they say I can get a desk job. That was before my RA/OA diagnosis. I plan to fight it, I paid years for the policy not dreaming I would ever use it.
For pain I take 800 Motrin as needed once or twice a day. I have big gun meds but fear opioid addiction. This pain is chronic, can’t take opioids long term without addiction so I have trained myself to deal with it. I use a meditation app that works wonders! Helps center my mind and reduces suffering which also takes my mind off pain for awhile. I didn’t think it would help at first but it does! Prednisone helps for flares but we are weaning me off which is tough- waiting for methotrexate to kick in.
My diet sucks, I am a carb eater when I am hurting. I know it doesn’t help.
The chickens and fresh air help prevent depression. No one has mentioned depression from chronic pain, I will.... before I quit working I considered suicide. I thought there was no way to stop working and I had gotten to the end of my rope with pain and fatigue. God has been so good thru all this and has met our financial needs and gives me strength to keep going to the doctor for answers and treatments. I am learning to lean on him and enjoy the little things in life. My nursing was my whole world ( empty nest ) I was so devoted and goal oriented. I felt like a failure in so many ways leaving my job as Director of an ER with 50 employees under me. God has shown me he had prepared for such a time as this and I can still serve him in little ways and have a fulfilling life. Sorry so long!

Thank you for sharing a bit of your story. One of my favorite verses:

For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10

He never closes a door without opening a window. And no matter what our station in life, He has a ministry for us to fulfill, if we are willing to serve.

I can relate dozens of stories of God's miraculous working in my life, the lives of my family, and others close to me.

Oh yes, after all the seizures and heart problems and vague answers we get are said and done.. depression is still one of the largest and scariest demons. I know I’m a baby compared to you pros, but I can at least relate to losing basic freedoms one by one and feeling totally helpless for it. I’m in college trying to get my veterinary license and my health problems completely blindsided us. School was my entire identity, I felt totally alone and robbed of the prime of my life.. when I was told I was going to have to take this semester off it turned my world upside down.
Anyway, it is strange to talk about for me but I do appreciate reading and relating to everyone here. You’re all amazing and definite role models for me right now, it’s amazing how all of our chickens are such a source of joy in our lives. Thank you for sharing and making my day that much better. :)

My favorite oldest daughter started having seizures at 4 yrs old. She was diagnosed with general, non specific Epilepsy. They controlled it with meds for a number of years, but new seizure activity would always come back and they'd change meds and we'd start all over again. She had a major accident driving when she seized and drove head on into a boulder. The steering wheel peeled her face from her upper lip, right up to her forehead. Luckily she went left vice right (over a precipice and down into a housing development). It's been a long struggle for her since she can't do any of the "normal" things young women do at her age. She can't drive, and that hurts in so many ways. She is now 38.

She worked at various jobs over the years. She has lived on her own and been self sufficient. But she couldn't afford cabs or bus to work and home every day so had to live close enough to walk to and from. She got hit by a massive, lifted pickup truck in an intersection, while crossing in a crosswalk with the walk light. She has had seizures and face planted on concrete sidewalks while walking her dog.

I have always tried to live near enough to her that I could help her when possible. Due to retirement and costs, I couldn't stay in CO where we both lived. I moved down here to TX and she stayed in CO as long as she could manage it.

She had several seizures at work, which freaked everyone out around her. They had to call ambulances, so she got nailed for exorbitant medical costs on top of everything else. It got to the point the depression and anxiety attacks made it impossible for her to work. She has now moved back to her childhood place in Maine and lives with her aunt. She has filed (and been denied) for SSI disability and is continuing to move in that direction. I fully expect her to be back with me (yet again) at some point in the not too distant future. I'm OK with that but have no realistic expectation to outlive her. Eventually she'll be on her own.

I truly wish you all the best in your search for normalcy! Do NOT give up! Please seek help if you need it.

Welcome @oceansunset73.I suffer from back pain also mainly due to a scoliosis along with the OA so I completely empathize with you.:hugs I use my wagon with collapsing sides to slide 50 pound feed bags out of our van. I can lift and carry for short periods of time. A lady who works down at the local MFA showed me how to squat and bear hug bags in order to carry them around.

Sometimes the back pain is so bad I'm in tears.

@lionchow, welcome! Are you referring to the new cold lasers?

@penny1960, sorry to hear about the chick. What's going on with it?

Y'all need to read about Egg Shell Membrane supplements. The doc wants me to start them. I have been reading about them for today and as weird as they sound, they work. Whodathunk? Something that is so basic to all of us chicken keepers has been found to battle joint inflammation and stiffness.

@ronott1, didn't know you had foot problems, knew about the stenosis surgery. I don't know if I hate the foot pain or the back pain the most.

Welcome @oceansunset73.I suffer from back pain also mainly due to a scoliosis along with the OA so I completely empathize with you.:hugs I use my wagon with collapsing sides to slide 50 pound feed bags out of our van. I can lift and carry for short periods of time. A lady who works down at the local MFA showed me how to squat and bear hug bags in order to carry them around.

Sometimes the back pain is so bad I'm in tears.

@lionchow, welcome! Are you referring to the new cold lasers?

@penny1960, sorry to hear about the chick. What's going on with it?

Y'all need to read about Egg Shell Membrane supplements. The doc wants me to start them. I have been reading about them for today and as weird as they sound, they work. Whodathunk? Something that is so basic to all of us chicken keepers has been found to battle joint inflammation and stiffness.

@ronott1, didn't know you had foot problems, knew about the stenosis surgery. I don't know if I hate the foot pain or the back pain the most.
The stenosis crushed the sciatic nerve for the right foot. It is still a bit numb and I cannot lift it completely--a bit of foot drop. The feeling is coming back a bit since peripheral nerves keep healing. That makes me feel the arthritis pain more but it is not too bad yet.

The chickens definitely give be something to do at home. I still work full time at the university but that is not too much physical

Oh, @Latestarter, :hugsmy heart breaks for your dear daughter and for you also. She is truly a courageous young woman. Blessings to both of you. Please urge her to hire an attorney if she hasn't all ready. If she can't afford one there are usually legal services that will help her find one.That dear lady needs to be on disability.

I was always a sickly child. Then when I was 23 and diagnosed with the Rheumatic Fever that changed my life, I remember feeling sorry for myself and my mother telling me, remember. There is always somebody who is worse off than you are. How right she was. I am blessed to be 65 and still upright and moving.

@ronott1 that sounds like it was painful when it happened. I have a numb spot under my left knee at the top of my calf. Have no idea how it happened.

Hope you all have a good night tonight and pleasant dreams.
hqdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom