Keeping chicks cool

ChickieGirl1979

In the Brooder
Jun 26, 2016
Louisville, KY
I have a batch of chickens that are 6 and 7 weeks old. They were SO hot today and I felt terrible!! The temp is on the rise here. I read that small wading pans filled with cool water about an inch deep and ice cubes h3ps, also having frozen fruits and veggies. Are my babies too young for fruits and veggies??

Frozen water bottles are also good and I like to give my chickens watermelon when it's really hot. If you are giving them some grit I think they'd be fine eating fruits and veggies.

I live in Houston TX where it is VERy hot.
I am using a cake pan field with ice cubes and maybe an inch of water with good treats mixed in....(it makes them drink the cool water to get the treats) and I also freeze gallon size milk jusgs and place them in their area so they can lean against them to cool off.

(good treats...peas, kale and grapes..cut up of course)

Beware of giving too much fruit and/or ice water.
I put ice cubes in large shallow pans, they can wade in it and sip the water as the cubes melt.
Freeze just the rinds of melon(I eat the flesh part) and toss those out for them to peck at.
I also throw piles of ice cubes in dust bath pits they've dug into the ground in the shade.
...and put some ice in the waterers in late afternoon to cool them off some.

Deep shade is the most important and helpful....as much of any kind of shade as possible.
Good air flow helps too, I have a fan that blows in cooler air from shaded east window late afternoon to lock up after dark to cool coop off.

Is 3 small pans set out in the morning with about an inch of water and some ice too much?? I also froze water in a 2 liter bottle to use like a reusable ice cube inside their 5 gallon waterer. Is this ok?? I'm gonna get a heavy tarp to cover the side of their run that gets blasted in the afternoon sun.

Is 3 small pans set out in the morning with about an inch of water and some ice too much?? I also froze water in a 2 liter bottle to use like a reusable ice cube inside their 5 gallon waterer. Is this ok?? I'm gonna get a heavy tarp to cover the side of their run that gets blasted in the afternoon sun.
No need for the water added to cubes in pans, IMO, the cubes will melt for them to drink.
2 liter cube in waterer sounds good.
Try to position tarp so it doesn't block all airflow.

Shouldnt some of this fluff be feathers by 6 weeks old? Is keeping them cool maybe a difference by breed? My wyandotte rooster was panting and couldnt walk at 95° in the shade and not enclosed. They had several pans of water (6 chicks at 6 weeks old) and I kept changing the water. They went into air conditioning (not turned high) for the hottest part of the day. I am glad for your tips!

Back
Top Bottom