Keeping chicks warm on the ride home

acire67

Songster
11 Years
Nov 6, 2009
Pleasant Valley
Hi, I'm splitting an order of chicks with a few other people. I'll be picking up my chicks an hour away from my house next month when they arrive. What's the best way to keep them warm on our drive home? Thanks!

I put the heat on "feet" and sit the box in the passanger floorboard area and keep the temps about 70ish, keeping them in the box. If you hear loud cheeping, they are cold, crank it up. They should do fine this way. You can buy a couple of heat packs to put in with them, if it is really really cold. Just listen to them, they will tell you.

Last edited:
Bring a couple of towels or blankets to the post office with you. Warm up your car before you go and then BLAST the heat. When you get to the P.O. wrap the box in a towel or two, place them on the passenger seat and sweat your tush off (with the car heat on) all the way home. That's what I did. Didn't lose any.
smile.png

We just picked up six chicks from a small hatchery about an hour away yesterday. They were fine with the car ride. We put them in a small, short box so with the lid loosely closed the heat mostly stayed in. Or at least it would have if my wife, who was holding them in her lap wasn't giving my a play by play for each chick while I drove. We did crank the heat, and it was an uncomfortable couple of miles before I found a section of road safe and straight enough to wriggle out of my heavy winter coat. But the chicks themselves seemed no worse for the wear and within a mile most of them were taking a nap. It's been about 24 hours, and except for having to clean two butts when we first got home everyone is doing fine. There is nothing like the look of glee on a four year old's face the first time he holds a baby chick in his hand. Next time we'll probably pre-warm the box on the drive in by placing it under a vent on the drive down so we don't quite have to sweat it so much on the way home.

brought home 36 chicks this morning and the temp outside was 7 degrees. I just turned on the seat heaters in the passenger seat and cranked up the heat. All 36 made it back home 15 miles and 2000 feet higher and are happy and running around. The truck driver who delivered them to the PO said he kept them in the cab with him overnight Sunday night so they wouldn't get cold.

When I sell chicks I make a transport box for them to go home with customers. Depending on the number of chicks I use a 8" square box up to a 12"x12" box. I get the boxes free from USPS.com.

I put enough shavings in to cover the bottom. Then I put in a 6 hour "hot hands". Takes about 15 minutes to warm up then you are ready to transport chicks. The hothands stay at about 100 degrees for 5-7 hours. Either cut holes in the sides for ventilation or leave the top open some.

I have never had a single customer loss a chick on the way home. Even had a pair of 3 week olds go 4-5 hours from the show to their new home. I bought 4 one day olds home 2 months ago. They were in the box about 2 hours. They were digging around playing in the shavings for about half an hour then slept(not pilled) most of the rest of the time.

I get a bunch of the hothands on sale every year at walmart. I start stalking the stores once spring items start getting put on shelfs. When the winter stuff gets put on sale I normally get hothands for 25-50 cents a 6-pack.

Matt

edited for spelling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom