keeping chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by martins show birds, Oct 11, 2018.

1. martins show birds

martins show birds Chirping

Oct 11, 2018
    long island,VA
    i would like to know if its ok to have hatched chicks in a used fish tank

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    How big is it? How many chicks? Where is it, in some place climate controlled? How are you providing heat?

Some people successfully use aquariums but the biggest problem can be overheating. Too much heat can be as dangerous as too little. To me the ideal brooder keeps one spot warm enough in the coolest conditions and cool enough in the warmest conditions. This is easier to do in a climate controlled area than where you can get big temperature swings. If you use a heat plate or heating pad for the supplemental heat and it has great ventilation up high an aquarium isn't too bad, but if you use a heat lamp or incandescent bulb a smaller aquarium can easily overheat.

Chicks grow very fast. A smaller aquarium can get pretty crowded pretty fast. Another reason size is important.

If you clean and sterilize it the fact that it is used should not be a problem.

Under the right circumstances an aquarium can work. What circumstances do you have?

Birds of a Feather and aart like this.
  3. Helloworld

Helloworld Songster

6 chickens will need a 75 gallon tank in three-four weeks.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ridgerunner said most everything I was going to say and ask.

Welcome to BYC @martins show birds!
    Where in this world are you located?
    Climate is almost always a factor.
    Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
    It's easy to do, then it's always there!
    upload_2018-10-11_17-44-45.png

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: