Keeping Critters out of your Coop

mkolasa

Chirping
Mar 27, 2021
What kind of latch/lock systems do you all use to keep critters out of your coop? Looking for ideas. Leaning toward hasp latch with a carabineer (the kind with the added twist mechanism). I have read that raccoons can still get through this. I am in northwest Indiana.

Attachments

• latch.jpg
    latch.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 14
  • lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 4
I read somewhere that a raccoon can't open a carabiner like that. But do you want to do the twist part as well as the carabiner part and the easing the hasp off the loop part every time you go into or out of your coop? Do you plan to carry much in or out? Depending on your set up, it might not be an issue.

I think it would be for me. I'm still building so this is theoretical at this point but I've done a lot of chores for other livestock. I know I want something I can open with my hands full since my feed, water, and nest boxes will be inside. I'm thinking to block raccoons by having two latches - too far apart for one raccoon to reach both at the same time. The plan is homemade sliding bar or pivot latches I can open with an elbow and a foot. I may work in a way to padlock it, too, if only occasionally, if it looks like something is trying to get in.

This is what I use. They have a deep set, spring loaded, are easily opened by a human, and properly installed, are VERY secure.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M70ER0W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To open, the latch must be pushed, against strong spring pressure, to align with a notch, then rotated 90 degrees, then slid 1 1/2" to release the bolt.

No amount of "coon fingerin" will disengage these.

I have 2 on the coop door, one high, one low, and there is absolutely no way a racoon, or any other animal, could possibly open one of these, let alone 2 !!! It would be easier to go through the wire.

Back
Top Bottom