Keeping Doves

grayjay11o

Songster
Jun 24, 2019
New Hampshire
I'm phasing out my laying chickens and I was wondering if it was possible to keep doves in the chicken coop. I've measured the run and it is a good size for 2-4 doves depending on their size, but a third of it is split off for my bantam show chickens. The coop is a good size but the roof is not very tall, and as of right now my run is covered with goat fencing. I also live in New Hampshire and it gets fairly cold in the winter.
So my questions are:
Can you keep doves near chickens?
Is there anything that I need to add or change about my coop or run?
Can I keep doves outside all winter?
Is there anything important I should know about keeping doves.
Thank You!

I'm phasing out my laying chickens and I was wondering if it was possible to keep doves in the chicken coop. I've measured the run and it is a good size for 2-4 doves depending on their size, but a third of it is split off for my bantam show chickens. The coop is a good size but the roof is not very tall, and as of right now my run is covered with goat fencing. I also live in New Hampshire and it gets fairly cold in the winter.
So my questions are:
Can you keep doves near chickens?
Is there anything that I need to add or change about my coop or run?
Can I keep doves outside all winter?
Is there anything important I should know about keeping doves.
Thank You!
Hello! As long as the coop is secure from them getting out,and getting in, they should be fine.

And for the winters, it will depend on the type of dove. :)

You can keep doves near chickens,as long as they can't touch each other.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask any other questions!

the only problem with the cold winters is the wind and draft, the temp is not a bit deal you just need a barrier to control the wind. Size of coop sounds good and the doves and chickens shouldn't be able to touch or co-mingle in any way, Otherwise it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom