Keeping ducks and chickens together

Keeping ducks and chickens together depends on how much space you have. I have always kept mine together since I started my little chicken, duck, geese hobby about 8 years ago. The little barn they are housed in is about 40' x 12', and that being divided into three rooms each with outside doors. The first two rooms have a high passage way that the chickens can fly from one room to the other. My two geese, 10 ducks and some of the chickens go into the first room on their own each night. Chickens only go into the second room on their own each night. And the Muscovies go into the third room. Sometimes a rooster and/or a couple of hens will also go into the third room. They all seem to get along just fine. No problems between ducks, geese and chickens. Only problem I have seen is between the female Muscovies, four of them, and the one Muscovy drake. The females can be jealous of each other, when that happens usually one Muscovy duck will choose to roost in the second room with the chickens. There are roosts in all three rooms... they choose where they go. Sometimes I think they are smarter than the humans that take care of them. During the day they all free range over about 1.5 acres. That, in it's self, is a blessing. They have plenty of room to get out of the other's way. I do, however, have a problem with too many roosters... as is the case right now. I just haven't culled my roosters this year. In culling, I give them to a friend. I would like to put them in the freezer... but can't get hubby to do the "deed". I won't kill them either... so no stew pot roosters for us. Hubby will soon be 77, and I'm 75... so you see.
cool.png

I enjoy my little foul hobby more than I can say... and I'm sure my family doesn't fully understand. Basically I had Runner ducks.. a pair of China geese, and various type of chickens. This spring I acquired Muscovies... they are now my favorite. Love 'em
If I bring ducks into an already established chicken coop, how old should the ducklings be before I introduce them and any suggestions on How? Thanks!

Hi! Just wondewondering about the different feeds for ducks vs chickens. Can someone please explain this to me?

From my understanding, as long as the feed isn't medicated, ducks and chickens can eat the same food as long as they are both feathered. If still babies, chicks and ducklings will need their own starter food.

Chicks can eat a starter but ducklings should really be given the starter/grower because of the extra nutrients and the speed in which they grow.

Thank you. I want to get a few ducks to go with my guineas and other chickens. I have a huge pond in front of the house, and would love to eatch them swim and play!

Back
Top Bottom