1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

keeping ducks and geese together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by silverfilly, Feb 16, 2009.

1. silverfilly

silverfilly Peepin N' Cheepin

Jan 25, 2008
    Kansas
    Just finaly submited my order to Cackle. I got 4 toulouse geese and 6 more ducks, this brings me to 8 ducks. How well will these guys live together? I now have my 2 ducks living with my chickens but once these new chicks are ready to go outside Id like to make a water fowl pen with a kiddy pool in it for them. can ducks and geese live togather? The ducks are all blue sweedish exept one pekin.

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I've never had a problem with them together. They lived fine as babies and separated into to their own groups as adults and ignored each other. The geese will come to have a monopoly on food though, so have several feeders available or design some sort of creep feeder.

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have 2 toulouse ganders living with my calls, and mandarins right now. They are fine.

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

This is good to know, since I figured out yesterday where to build my waterfowl pen. All of mine will be combined, also.

5. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Good to know here also. We hope to free range our muscovies and Pilgrim geese but want to build a secured shelter for the nights.

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

is a 'creep feeder' for feeding creeps? Like mr. Goose?

7. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    Some geese tend to boss ducks around.
    Maybe not as babies but when they grow up
    they can be territorial.
    Something to keep in mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by