Keeping Ducks Cool In Arizona

LaineyMehrer

Chirping
May 17, 2018
So, the ducks made a huge mess in their room the other night and we have them outside now. Currently it is 107. We have them in a child’s playhouse, there is a hole in the side so they can get in and out of, and they have a kiddie pool. I also put in a paint pan that has water and bricks in it, so if they don’t want to be in water fully they just stand on that. My mom is currently freezing water bottles and grape halves to give them. Any other tips? (They are about 3wks old. Almost fully feathered).

So, the ducks made a huge mess in their room the other night and we have them outside now. Currently it is 107. We have them in a child’s playhouse, there is a hole in the side so they can get in and out of, and they have a kiddie pool. I also put in a paint pan that has water and bricks in it, so if they don’t want to be in water fully they just stand on that. My mom is currently freezing water bottles and grape halves to give them. Any other tips? (They are about 3wks old. Almost fully feathered).

It's like 90 degrees where I'm at so clearly not anywhere near as hot as you. But I just spray my ducks with a hose they don't particularly like it and run away but they definition to get a little wet and might help cool them down. I actually wonder how much it actually helps because it water just floats right off them. But a cold Spray down with the hose can't hurt. Obviously keeping their pool cool what's fresh cold water will help to. But ducks are pretty Hardy so you'll be alright as long as they're in the shade!

Sunglasses :cool:

And what I hear from the youth; netflix & chill... SUPERCOOL :cool::cool::cool:

Just kidding.
I have a bath available the whole day and shade... and for the rest... well.. sometimes it is hot, sometimes it's not. You can't help it, but they will survive just like us humans. (with a looot of complaining about the heat :p )

You are doing everything you can with a bath and shade etc. You can't do more.

You're doing as much as you can.
My ducks have a kiddie pool and a shaded area. I can't do much else. Not going to sit there and fan them all day. They'll be okay.

If there is a farm supply store nearby you can get a stock tank and siphon to empty it for refills. That would allow them to actually dive and swim. Kiddie pools are quite shallow and only really allow wading and splashing.

My opinion; they’re waterfowl and the deeper the water the better.

If there is a farm supply store nearby you can get a stock tank and siphon to empty it for refills. That would allow them to actually dive and swim. Kiddie pools are quite shallow and only really allow wading and splashing.

My opinion; they’re waterfowl and the deeper the water the better.
Is that the set up you have? Mine only use the kiddie pool when it is filled with fresh water - then after that I don't see them using it as much. I refill every other day or every two days at most.

Is that the set up you have? Mine only use the kiddie pool when it is filled with fresh water - then after that I don't see them using it as much. I refill every other day or every two days at most.
Yes, that’s my set-up. I have three stock tanks in our bird yard that I refill each day. We pump out the water to use on the garden. Right now I have 15 ducks, 3 geese using the three stock tanks. There’s another 2 full grown pekin arriving Saturday, and 4 ducks/4 goslings to be integrated in a month or so.

I have a well, so the water bill obviously isn’t a concern for me. I don’t live in AZ, but water to swim in would definitely help. If you cover it at night it could prevent too much evaporation. Shallow water gets pretty hot quickly, so deeper water would be cooler.

Last edited:
Yes, that’s my set-up. I have three stock tanks in our bird yard that I refill each day. We pump out the water to use on the garden. Right now I have 15 ducks, 3 geese using the three stock tanks. There’s another 2 full grown pekin arriving Saturday, and 4 ducks/4 goslings to be integrated in a month or so.

I have a well, so the water bill obviously isn’t a concern for me. I don’t live in AZ, but water to swim in would definitely help. If you cover it at night it could prevent too much evaporation. Shallow water gets pretty hot quickly, so deeper water would be cooler.
Do you think you could post a picture of your set up? I would love to be able to give my ducks something bigger to swim and play in. It's a nightmare lifting and dumping the kiddie pool every other day....

Back
Top Bottom