keeping ducks cool in their house?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by artsyrobin, Jun 19, 2010.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    do ducks have problems with heat? was thinking about their house at nite and how to keep it cool at night??

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Ducks can overheat. They will pant much like a dog to try to cool themselves. Providing water is one way to counteract overheating. Ventilation is also important. Ensuring that air can circulate will help keep them coller. Depending on how they are housed- wet towels over the top or in windows can help to cool the inner temperature.

3. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Ducks can be very heat sensitive, do they do any panting in the evening? It could just be excitement but if they are used to the routines and all it is more likely heat and then yes I would worry about keeping it cooler or atleast circulating air in there...

Add ventilation, cross ventilation with a drop down window or a sliding window on two sides...IF you already have good cross ventilation, add a small fan in one of the windows, bury wire in piping or what they call 'well wire' which is securely coated wire thats meant to be buried as is, (i dont know the real name of the wiring though - we just call it well wire - lol ) but its what they use to run electric to well houses in the country, go to a home improvement store and ask them for something you can just bury as is into the ground. I would say just use a dropcord, but I'd worry what if your not home to un-plug it or at night and a storm comes up...

Or you could use add a rubber mat or tarp in a box/pan and put frozen water jugs in there so they can lay down near or own them to cool themselves off as needed. [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can set up a "chimney" like air current, that can help. An opening at the top of the house allows hot air to leave, which can then draw cooler air from lower down, if there is an opening.

We have openings (covered with hardware cloth to keep predators out) all around the top of the duck house, and their sliding door can be left open on hot nights (there is a pen surrounding the door), so that cool air comes in the sliding door as it is pulled by hot air leaving near the roof.

Cool water, perhaps with a chunk of ice can help.

Insulation helps keep duck houses cool in the summer as well as warmer in winter.

Shading the house so that it doesn't get too hot to begin with can help.

5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    ok, that helps, will add some more jugs to the freezer- do that for the chickens, and add some windows to the house for them... during the day they are free range but hang out near the house, its just at nite i am concerned for how that it is getting hot-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by