Keeping Ducks

Thanks! So ducks don't need a heat lamp in the winter?
From what I have read here, there is no one temperature or method that is right for every flock.

Ducks can die of hypothermia, and can get terrible frostbite. They can get frozen into water buckets.

Ducks need to be observed for signs that they are too cold throughout the winter. In our case, between 35F and 40F was the lowest night time temperature at which the ducks thrived. Colder than that, there were some members of the flock not doing well. So I moved them into a shelter that provided that minimum amount of heat, safely. I am sure that we would have lost at least four members of the flock to cold-related problems if I had not moved them in. They can take colder daytime temperatures for some period of time, but I watch and bring them in when there are signs of ducks getting too cold.

Heat lamps can cause fires.

Some members report that their ducks refuse to go into shelters at night, even in subfreezing temperatures.

I would simply urge you to observe your ducks, provide them with good food and fresh water, safe shelter that is reasonably clean and definitely dry, out of the wind with lots of good bedding. I have a thermometer in the shelter so I know the temperatures. When they were in the first duck house, I set up an indoor-outdoor thermometer with the display outside the shelter so that I could monitor the temperature without opening the door, losing heat.

Ok thanks! In winter it can get below freezing sometimes so I will use a heat lamp on really cold days.

Ok thanks! In winter it can get below freezing sometimes so I will use a heat lamp on really cold days.
Be extremely careful with heat lamps. There are a huge fire hazard! Make sure they are double secured incase the clip fails or it falls. So far mine have been doing fine with the weather. I'm in Central Texas so cold for us is in the 20's at night and 30's during the day. I have a 3 sided coop and put a board over the open side when I know it will be in the 30's or lower at night. They have lots of bedding and there are 6 of them so they sunggle up when it gets nasty out. Mine have never gone into their house during the day. Even when we had sleet they would sit on our back porch which get hammered by the wind. I did notice the last time it got really nasty out they finally started to hang out by the fence which acts like a wind break. Right now it's in the 30's and super windy with a wind chill making it 17 out and they are playing in the water that hasn't frozen yet. We got rain last night and they are playing away in it. If I do keep a close eye on them though and if I though they were cold I would bring them in. I do feed them frozen corn and peas warmed up and will give them some luke warm water to warm up. I also make sure to feed them more often when it gets could (I can't keep food down all day).

Last edited:
Ok. I am planning on building a coop with 4 sides and a large run area. They will be able to free-range. My chickens have been using a heat lamp this whole winter and it has been fine. What kind of housing would be best for ducks?

Ok. I am planning on building a coop with 4 sides and a large run area. They will be able to free-range. My chickens have been using a heat lamp this whole winter and it has been fine. What kind of housing would be best for ducks?
Something that protects them from predators and cold. They don't roost and don't really use nesting boxes so something simple and basic works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom