Keeping eggs from rolling around on the wire floor of your incubator.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Red Fan, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Red Fan

Red Fan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    Ohio
    I just read a post suggesting using scrunchies to hold eggs in place. I think I've come up with a more masculine version. [​IMG] I took a piece of pvc pipe and sliced it at various angles to see which would work best. I doubt it will work any better than the scrunchies but I'll feel more comfortable talking to my burly work buddies about incubating eggs if I don't have to use the word scrunchies. Besides, not everyone has scrunchies laying around. (as opposed to pvc pipe and a table saw)[​IMG] I haven't tested and/or perfected yet. I just thought I'd throw it out there to see if someone else wanted to try.

2. Joy1

Joy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Lancashire,England
    [​IMG]

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Sounds like a good idea...I've also seen one member using zip-ties to help keep them in place on the wire!

Dawn

4. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    lol, I used a paper egg carton. [​IMG]

5. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I am female, but the word "scrunchie" does not exist in my vocabulary. Good idea, by the way!

6. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd thought about using those plastic three-legged inserts they put in take-out pizza boxes .. but haven't tried that yet

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I just take something like a 1x2 and make "slats" for the eggs to stay aligned in.

8. Red Fan

Red Fan Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:I thought about that too. Even if it didn't work I'd have a good excuse to eat lots of take out pizza for weeks!

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Try slicing toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls into 1/2" rings as egg holders. Then you can adjust the angle any way you want. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Try slicing toilet paper rolls or paper towel rolls into 1/2" rings as egg holders. Then you can adjust the angle any way you want. [​IMG]

And you just sit the eggs on their side in the bator on the TP rolls?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by