Keeping Emu as a Pet in Colorado?

SassyMustang198

In the Brooder
Aug 5, 2015
I'm moving in June and would like to take my Emu.. what are the requirements to keep one? I know they fall under domestic animals so no special permits are required, My main question I guess is do I need to buy a house with land, or can I buy a home in town with 2-3 acres for a yard, and legally be able to keep him in the yard, since he isn't loud like a rooster. He is a PET.. spoiled rotten and etc. Super friendly and sweet, so if I can avoid selling him and take him with me , thats what I would love to do.. I also have 3 dogs and a cat.. and they all live in harmony together..

Thanks in advance,

If you live in colorado in town, Springs, area.. please comment with your expericances.. apprecieate any and all information.

I live in Park County and have lived in Summit County. Your rules we be governed by your town zoning if you are in town limits. If you are somewhere unincorporated just about anything goes. Also must see if the specific neighborhood has an HOA you must abide by. There will also be requirements in terms of what kinds of outbuildings you can have on your property. I needed to have my coop/enclosure inspected by animal control prior to being issued a permit for fowl by the town of Fairplay. The government websites for the towns you are looking at will have the details either under animal control or sometimes under agriculture if it's not a dog or cat.

okay thanks for that.. i'll double check and see what I can find out.. we are definitly not doing HOA.. we don't want other people telling us how we are deamed to live, when we buy a house..LOL..

Yeah, we looked for a place without an HOA, but were surprised at some of the places that actually had them to support water and snow plowing in rural communities, and once an HOA exists they gotta start writing rules ;). Good luck. Once you narrow down your area, town websites will be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom