Keeping food in feeder?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenluver555, Oct 13, 2013.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Hopefully this is the right section for this question :)
    I have a few Easter Egger Hens, and I have been having to clean their coop more often than usual. For some reason they have been making such a mess with their food. Their feeder hangs, and I thought that would solve the problem. But, whenever I go out to check on them during the day their feeder is half empty, with most of their food on the ground. It creates such a mess and smells so bad! I don't know why they knock their food out of their feeder. How do I stop this? Please help.

2. DStewart PDX

DStewart PDX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    Do you have rodents in the coop?

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Raise the feeder higher, and stop refilling it until they eat what gets spilled

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If the feed is smelling bad, you may have a moisture problem in your coop. Moist bedding or moist/spoiled feed is your chickens worst enemy. . .

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    this.

I agree, odor also sounds like a moisture problem. Dry feed doesn't smell bad, in the feeder or on the ground. Do you need to relocate your feeder?

6. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    Also maybe see if you can get a feeder with a grill. That largely prevents them from billing out the food.

7. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    I would give them each a half a cup of feed a day. When I do this my chickens do not spill as much feed as when I fill my feeder all the way up.[​IMG]

8. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Try making one of the bucket feeders, 5gallon bucket with two 90degree elbows you could put 3 but the idea is they can't fling the food out as they have to stick their heads in the elbow, put a little food on the edges of the elbow mine were eating in less than 5 minutes and it holds a month worth of food for my 4 girls.

9. applegal

applegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Could they be getting rowdy in the coop and knocking the feeder around spilling the feed? I had some issues with water being spilled and realized it was a result of my mature roo chasing the new cockerel around the coop. Relocating the waterer helped.

10. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Mine will scoop it out with their beaks & eat it off the ground. I raised it and that helped a bunch. Do check for moisture issues! I had half a bag go rancid because of moisture or condensation in my food bin. And boy it smelled!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by