Keeping geese and chickens together

Jomom0707

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2021
I have 4 adult hens and I added two pilgrim goslings 6 weeks ago. One of my ganders will grab the chickens tail feathers if she gets in his way or he’s mad. How do I stop this? Also what do you put your feed in so both chickens and geese can eat? Do you have multiple bowls? Just trying to figure out how everyone can live happily together. They are kept in the coop at night only and are able to free range all day

Geese (or any water fowl, really) should not be kept with chickens. Geese are more territorial and, not to mention, have completely different anatomy than chickens. It would be best in their best interests to separate the geese and chickens. Geese like to be wet and chickens much prefer the dry land. As for feeding, they are going to eat whichever they feel like eating as they can’t tell which is made for which one of them. Only way to decide who eats what is to separate the two species. :)

Best of luck!!

Geese (or any water fowl, really) should not be kept with chickens. Geese are more territorial and, not to mention, have completely different anatomy than chickens. It would be best in their best interests to separate the geese and chickens. Geese like to be wet and chickens much prefer the dry land. As for feeding, they are going to eat whichever they feel like eating as they can’t tell which is made for which one of them. Only way to decide who eats what is to separate the two species. :)

Best of luck!!
Have you owned geese and/or chickens? @HuffleClaw

I imagine since they are goslings, they are going to be a bit naughty. I don't have geese, but have muscovy which are sometimes goose-like. 😁 They like to grab feathers if a chicken gets too close. In my experience there is no way to stop it. However, I house my chickens and ducks separately at night. I also have my run set up so that I can separate if they are all locked up together or I can leave it open so all can mingle.
I know @Miss Lydia has a mixed flock of all sorts of birds.

Oh, I also have multiple feed and water stations set up. On the duck side are duck appropriate rubber water bowls and a trough for swimming. The chicken side has a waterer made for chickens and a dust bath area. The chicken area stays pretty dry since the open water is on the duck side of the run.

My geese, ducks and chickens are together in the daylight on half-acre but at night they have separate housing. This is only going to get worse especially if you have a gander they become secret service to their mate when breeding age comes around and don't want anyone near her. I'd advise separate housing. If they are free-ranging during the day just put out multiple feeding stations. I have 4 for 38 birds.

Last edited:
I also have chickens, ducks and geese. All get to frolic together in the open during the day, but each has its own species housing at night. Again, chickens like it dry, and waterfowl prefer to make wet messes wherever possible.

I love my geese, but they are certainly the bullies of the backyard (unless someone actually turns around and LOOKS at them, then they turn feathered tail and run). They routinely herd the runner ducks across the yard and harass any they find in secluded places. The geese will nip at a lone hen, especially when the geese are laying. Golly and Gussie defend their own nests and each other's with great vigor.

In addition to separate feeders and waterers in each area, I also have a couple of community feeders -- filled with all-flock -- for mid-day snacking and a stock tank and two kiddie pools that everyone can drink from or bathe in.

Back
Top Bottom